Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC dev boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

I havent been able to find a decent PIC dev board for the 18F Series. I know they exist but the ones Ive found, arent too breadboard friendly. Ive Sort of created by own, But its mainly a PIC18F2410 on a piece of perf board with the connections needed for ICSP, but it lacks the "necessity’s".

Im thinking of just making one with the stuff I want/need on it. For example:

• 32Khz Crystal on Timer 1 for Interrupt Operations
  • Removable I2C EEPROM
  • Integrated 1.5V to 5V boost converter @100mA Output
  • ICSP Connections
  • RX/TX Brought out for easy serial connection
  • Possible HC-05 Bluetooth Header.
  • All "easy" SMD construction
  • Able to fit on Two Rows of Breadboard (ie a little smaller than a 40 pin DIP)
Basically, Its almost set up to be like a data logger. Any one have suggestions? I know I can get PCB's for dirt cheap through OSH park. Or should I just buy my own ?

I actually made one USB friendly with bootloader and its a PIC18F47J53 or PIC18F46J50
https://atomsoft.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/pic18f4xj5x-explorer-v2/
Willing to sell one for $25 (includes shipping within USA)
ex_7.jpg

That's a very nice and professional looking board, Jason. Bravo! I love the micro-miniature SMD push button switches...

Cheerful regards, Mike

Congrats' on your 32MX 7" Touchscreen Remote which was I just spotted on Hackaday, Jason. That's way cool....

I havent been able to find a decent PIC dev board for the 18F Series.

I've always just built them on breadboard. I have 4 or 5 for different PICs.

ALSO
Though I haven't been on the forum much lately, I wasn't seeing K8LH posting and was missing you. Glad to see you're still around. Have learned much from you and use some of your code often.

Aaron

Breadboards are great, dont get me wrong.

What im saying is the whole point of a dev board is to not have to wire the basics like caps, resistors, icsp and possibly usb.

if you have a base sytem to work with it saves time and possible headache. Imagine wiring a lcd or led matrix on a breadboard and its not working... weeks later you find out a cap for the osc is missing or a power strip wasnt connected.. its a problem solved with a dev board

also reuse is a plus!

Congrats' on your 32MX 7" Touchscreen Remote which was I just spotted on Hackaday, Jason. That's way cool....
Agreed.... It looks like your pic18 USB board in the picture... The text said you used the fabrino!!

Oh ya, good link for that buydisplay...
Any issues ordering from them?
Just the typical "takes forever to get to here from overseas" type thing?

:) Never had a issue yet... on my 2nd or third order now. I usually order express and gets here in a week or less. Cost 3x the price but worth it to me.. i cant wait for anything. Im sure it would take 2-3 weeks tops tho. They seem pretty quick on releasing orders. No 3 day handling like normal overseas places.

I actually made one USB friendly with bootloader and its a PIC18F47J53 or PIC18F46J50
https://atomsoft.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/pic18f4xj5x-explorer-v2/
Willing to sell one for $25 (includes shipping within USA)
View attachment 85568

I would like to come up with something like this actually, but for a smaller pic. From What I do though, most of the time Im just using simple hookup stuff, Like LCD's and ADC's. I do usually build on bread board but it tends to be a pain (Well not that much of a pain) to hook up something like a LCD or a Boost Converter if Im using it all the time.

Cool what pic series 16F or 18F or something specific? Also what kind of lcd are you talking about? Character? Graphic? TFT?

18F Series. I do most work on a 18F2410 but I would like to be able to use the K series without having to buy a PIC Kit 3 :/ I have some 18F13k22's on hand, but that will (hopefully) be the basis for a small remote data logger. I do mostly Character LCD work, even though Swordfish (The complier I use most of the time) supports some GLCD's.

That 18f47j53 has a bootloader so no pickit needed. Im sure you could do that with most. But then there is no debugging unless you have a pickit 3.

most of the time Im just using simple hookup stuff, Like LCD's and ADC's. I do usually build on bread board but it tends to be a pain

I made these plug in blocks for the main breadboard. They plug in easily when I want them but are removable if not. One for a character LCD and one for a VGA monitor hook up. I'm programming propellers right now but a different plug could fit a PIC breadboard.

101_7860.JPG 101_7861.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back