Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic compiling/programming questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right when you say i am confused...
Does it only uses parallel port because its the only one that can support it? So why can we choose from parallel, serial and usb port in winpic800?

Because it supports multiple programmers, not just the ProPic2.

A db9 can be parallel port? My father did'nt said me so, he said we where having a db9 serial and a db25 parallel on our computer ( and other various ports)

A DB9 can't be a parallel port, no where near enough pins.

Anyway, to make my programmer, i only need to take the right pinout of winpic800 with propic2 and put put it in pgd, pgc , a transistor to make the 13 volts of vpp etc... on the pic? Cant i just configure winpic800 to send data in, out clock... on the port or i better use a already existing one (like propic2).
If i am wrong just tell me why, so i dont ask pointless questions...

If you're making a programmer, why not just use an existing design?, all you're doing is duplicating one anyway - they aren't full of 'bits you can leave out', they are made as they are for good reason.

What i want actually is to dont use a zif socket, so i intend to make a programmer that the outputs are pgc, pgd, vpp 5 volts and 0 volts and i will connect each of these to the pic with crocrodile style clamps. (i know its not ideal, but i am pretty low budget so... it works for me). Can this be done? i want to use propic2 because i know where is pgc, pgd, vpp 5 volts and 0 volts. Help would be welcome.

I dont care of using the parallel port, i got one. But why is there a db9 one for the propic2 when evryone tells me its PARALLEL port.
db9 would make it more smaller and practical.

I just need to know what is the pinout of the serial/parallel port for propic2 HARDWARE(i know it) to modify it for my use! And i ask question because evrything is contradictory.
If it was db9 compatible, it would be alright, because i know the pinout( even tough i am mixed up because you tell me its parallel) but i dont know for db25.

can someone make me see the light?

Me too i think.

Sorry to had taked you some much time... and this topic got way too much big...8 pages.

Last edited:
You all kill me Lol Your hung up on db9 db25 they used both for rs232 I have a line tester with db9 one end and db25 where you hook it. I even posted a link I guess no one read it. Here a pdf of I think what he is talking about. If you read it. It tells you that this is a
ProPic 2 Parallel-port programmer
And in the right hand corner there is a DB9 Female.
I got a lot of program cables with db25 on one end a db9 to the chip And that's what they did here. It still hooks to the Parallel-port with the db25.

Attachments

• propic2.pdf
    30.1 KB · Views: 249
This is what i posted 2 times. And i have an adapter too.(db9 to db25)

May i tell you my confusion (and contradictory toughts) with quotes:

ProPic 2 Parallel-port programmer
Okay... i understand that...
A DB9 can't be a parallel port, no where near enough pins.
okay so here its getting hot because of :
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/propic2-pdf.29469/

So after i post a lot of ???
and finally:
I got a lot of program cables with db25 on one end a db9 to the chip

Is it that? Just that?

And still, when i go on winpic800, you can choose from lpt or com, but not usb.So normally com should be disabled as usb.Why is it not?And the pinout of the com option is the same as the link that b80be shown up.

Last edited:
Here what there doing ok there using a db9 connector and a db25 going to the printer port.
you hook like this
Code:
db9         db25
pin 1        pin 2 D0
pin 6        pin 7 D5
pin 2        pin 3 D1
pin 7        pin 10 ACK
pin 4        pin 5 D3
pin 5        pin 6 D4
That's all you need to hook it up like it shows in the propic2.pdf here a pinout for the db25 PC Parallel Port Connector Pinout and Description, LPT port

Last edited:
Thanks be80be

Now i just have to make propic2 but instead of sending data, clock to the zif socket, i will connect it directly trough crocrodile clamps to the pic.

And really, i am sorry to had taken so much of your time(i even made one give up...)
I think that i know now why it cant work with serial but i wont tell it by fear its not right...even if i am probably right...

For the vpp1,vpp2 and vpp3 , can i simply connect them all together, as i dont use zif socket?

I'm not sure why you insist on building the propic2. It uses the same components (7407 oc buffer and pnp transistors for switching) as a "standard" parallel port programmer, so why not build a standard parallel port programmer like the Tait. A standard programmer can be driven by many software packages including Nigel's.

Before I bought my PICkits I used a programmer similar to a Tait along with Nigel's software to program 16F627As and 12F629s, so I can testify that it works.

Thanks be80be

Now i just have to make propic2 but instead of sending data, clock to the zif socket, i will connect it directly trough crocrodile clamps to the pic.

And really, i am sorry to had taken so much of your time(i even made one give up...)
I think that i know now why it cant work with serial but i wont tell it by fear its not right...even if i am probably right...

For the vpp1,vpp2 and vpp3 , can i simply connect them all together, as i dont use zif socket?

To program a 16F628A all you need is VPP1. Just connect the output of the switching transistor to pin 4 of the 16F628A. In fact, since you since you are not using a socket just connect the output to the VPP pin of what ever chip you are programming. You don't need VPP2 and VPP3 and the transistors they control.

I'm not sure why you insist on building the propic2
By simple programmer, you mean i can simply make one myself by setting the 1/0 port in hardware setting of winpic800?
What are the 1/0 pins that are nescessery then? Data, data in, clock, vpp and vdd?
What is the difference between data, data in?
**broken link removed**
Like this one?

To program a 16F628A all you need is VPP1.
I finaly decided to use an 16f74 too, because it has more pins. So it has to be universal. But if i make it classic, there is no more then one vpp.

Last edited:
You made a lot out of this To program a pic all you need is five lines
1. vpp
2. vdd
3. gnd
4 ISCPDAT
5.ISPCLK
Thats all you need
I don't care if you use the serial port or the parallel your still serially programming the
pic you just using five pins for one of the five job above power to turn on programming
power why programming and serial data into the chip and the clock to clock it in .
Five that's it all you need.

By simple programmer, you mean i can simply make one myself by setting the 1/0 port in hardware setting of winpic800?
What are the 1/0 pins that are nescessery then? Data, data in, clock, vpp and vdd?
What is the difference between data, data in?
**broken link removed**
Like this one?

I finaly decided to use an 16f74 too, because it has more pins. So it has to be universal. But if i make it classic, there is no more then one vpp.

I didn't say simple. I said standard; however, the Tait does have fewer parts than the propicII.

In the 16F class I recommend the 16F886 for 28 pins and the 16F887 for 40 pins. Of course, your software has to be capable of programming them.

For the parrallel port ground, i have to connect it to all the port ground(pin 18 to 25) or to some in specific?
Do i need the invert configuration in winpic800?For what is it used?

For the parrallel port ground, i have to connect it to all the port ground(pin 18 to 25) or to some in specific?
Do i need the invert configuration in winpic800?For what is it used?

One is sufficient. Pick the one that is most convenient for your board layout. The programmer can be built with inverting or non-inverting buffers. The 7407 is non-inverting. Build the programmer and see which configuration works. Nigel's software has a hardware setup mode where you can configure and test each pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back