Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phone Ringing Causes ADSL DIsconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
THe Telus guy changed the box my connection was in from one that was 20 blocks away to one that was 1 block away and the problem went away.

I don't like a central filter just because it was one of the reasons I chose DSL over cable- I could use any telephone jack in the house. If I used a central filter and limit the areas where I can plug in the PC, I might as well go cable and have faster speed

Last edited:
THe Telus guy changed the box my connection was in from one that was 20 blocks away to one that was 1 block away and the problem went away.

I don't like a central filter just because it was one of the reasons I chose DSL over cable- I could use any telephone jack in the house. If I used a central filter and limit the areas where I can plug in the PC, I might as well go cable and have faster speed

You mean you don't have a wireless router?, so you can use it anywhere in the house and garden.

Broadband cable isn't necessarily faster than ADSL. In fact it's often times slower due to the number of customers sharing the node you are connected to... hence the reason for Dedicated Suscriber Line - DSL

You can purchase faster downstreram/upstream packages from both types of services. If you live close to a Central Office Switch using DSL, your speeds should be blazing.

I don't get your point. If a internet signal mixed with telephone could travel few Km from the central office, why the same signal (at at lower Db level though at Customer premises) can't travel across few jacks within the house after passing thro' the filter ?

I have a wireless router, but I don't use it...cordless phones interfere with it waaayyyy more than the incoming calls. Because a while back, my parents at the silly idea of switching all the phones in the house to cordless phones.

I don't know what difference the box makes, but I don't know how the system is set up either. Maybe it uses some large high quality line over long distances and then the box splits it up into low quality lines before it goes to your house. Or maybe it's a repeater or something. I don't know.

THe DSL that is comparable to cable hasn't reached my end of the city yet. All I know is my friends regularily have speeds of 500K and mine is half that.

Last edited:
Don't know what you use over there?, but here ADSL filters have one input, and two separate outputs (using different sockets) - one ouput is low-pass filtered, and feeds the phone, the other is high-pass filtered and feeds the ADSL.

Each phone in the house has a filter feeding it, fltering the HF ADSL signal out, and the ADSL modem has one feeding it, filtering out the LF audio and ringing tone.

An alternative is to have just ONE filter, directly where the phoneline comes in, and fed all the phones in the house off the phone output of that single filter, and the modem off the ADSL output from it.

I use a combination of both - the incoming line is split two ways - one way goes to an ADSL filter and feeds all the telephone sockets in the house, the ADSL output is unused. The other output of the splitter feeds directly to my attic (where I am now), and where another ADSL filter is used, to feed both the modem and a phone next to it, just because the phone output was there, and it saves me walking across the room to where the normal phone socket is :D

So I've got just two filters, for six phones and one modem.

each phone o_O
All I do is at the main junction box I put the filter (and then the modem-router). Then run phone cable around the house, cat5 to wired devices and wireless for those wireless devices

No need for multiple filters, plus modem right close to the junction box

I have a wireless router, but I don't use it...cordless phones interfere with it waaayyyy more than the incoming calls. Because a while back, my parents at the silly idea of switching all the phones in the house to cordless phones.

I don't know what difference the box makes, but I don't know how the system is set up either. Maybe it uses some large high quality line over long distances and then the box splits it up into low quality lines before it goes to your house. Or maybe it's a repeater or something. I don't know.

THe DSL that is comparable to cable hasn't reached my end of the city yet. All I know is my friends regularily have speeds of 500K and mine is half that.

If I lay my cell phone near my wireless modem for more than a minute or two the phone will cease to function until I turn it off then back on. Sometimes I have to remove the sd memory card and put it back in to get it to work also after a modem encounter. I demonstrated this to AT&T. They watched it happen. Then they said it couldn't happen. Oh well.

The modem doesn't need to be located near the DSL/POTS box, provided the proper CAT# wire is used. Heck, how many thousands of businesses have their network/modems located hundreds of feet away from the service entrance? If anything they simply run the mainline further into the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back