Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phone Ringing Causes ADSL DIsconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Hey, would anyone know what is causing my ADSL connection to disconnect whenever an incoming phone call is received?

-The internet is not wireless
-It occurs even when all phones in the house are unplugged
-It the incoming call causing the phone to ring that causes it, not the presence of a conversation on the line.

Last edited:
Well it is certainly suppose to work regardless of if a phone is in use or being rung to. Here I have to put DSL filters on all the phones to keep the high frequency DSL signals from being heard on the phones, but the ADSL modem wires straight to the phone line without a filter. Perhaps the modem has a defect?

Lefty

I used to call my brother just to knock him off line. I could hear him cuss for a city block.

Do you have a line filter or splitter? If you do it could be failing. It's been a while since I have dealt with phone systems but the ringer signal packs a punch. It could be as much as 100 volts. Sounds like some kind of isolation issue.

Last edited:
I do use a splitter on my ADSL though since it shares the line with a phone but that phone has a filter. And like I said in my opening post, it still happens when all phones are disconnected.

Last edited:
I still think it's a filter issue but with the modem, not the phones. It has to be the ringer signal knocking you off line so I would think your modem has a filter, maybe internal, possibly an isolation type transformer. Is an ADSL modem expensive?

Last edited:
The incoming line first goes to Phone/DSL splitter then it goes to corresponding types that's what I have. I don't think the modem has any in-built filter. That is enough. Also if we reverse the connection on the splitter also I've got my phone worked, that is on the DSL line. I think the splitter has not much critical role.

So my assumption is something your modem problem. Replace and check.

I think transistor495 is correct. The modem must be at fault. If you replace the modem, replace the filter also just in case.

Last edited:
I'll give them a call and see if they can find out if it is on their end and give me a new modem (this modem is only 5 months old so I don't know if that is it or not).

Google "ADSL trouble shooting", there is a lot there.

this one has a bit on disconnect problems with ADSL.

**broken link removed**

-

Last edited:
Regularly I see faults like this in my work. Either Replace the filter, or make sure you have one in and wired correctly. If you have more than one filter plugged in through the house then make sure you do not have them 'back to back' i.e. one plugged into another.

Make sure you have one filter per item (Phone/modem) in the house, If you have extentions or extra plug/points around then make sure these do NOT have a filter at each end of the cable as this can cause your problem.

These types of problems are almost always the filters - everything connected to the phone MUST be connected through a filter - or you will get problems like this.

I agree with Nigel, go for the a filter replacement (it's certainly the cheapest option that has been suggested in this thread!).

Are all these suggestions about filters because people missed reading that this happens when nothing else is plugged into the phone lines except for the modem? Or are they referring to something else?

Are all these suggestions about filters because people missed reading that this happens when nothing else is plugged into the phone lines except for the modem? Or are they referring to something else?

No, and their responses confuse me also. A DSL model wires straight to the phone line with no filter installed between the modem and the phone line. The filters are needed for any other device using the phone line to prevent the DSL higher frequencies signals from interfering with those devices. In theory you could have a single phone line wired to a single DSL modem and no filter should be use. Only if other devices, (telephones, answering machines, cordless base units, etc) need to share the phone line does a filter need to be installed on just those devices, not the modem. A filter installed in front of a DSL modem would prevent it from being able to send and receive the DSL frequencies being used. A DSL modem should be able to handle a normal ringing signal without a problem.

Lefty

No, and their responses confuse me also. A DSL model wires straight to the phone line with no filter installed between the modem and the phone line. The filters are needed for any other device using the phone line to prevent the DSL higher frequencies signals from interfering with those devices. In theory you could have a single phone line wired to a single DSL modem and no filter should be use. Only if other devices, (telephones, answering machines, cordless base units, etc) need to share the phone line does a filter need to be installed on just those devices, not the modem. A filter installed in front of a DSL modem would prevent it from being able to send and receive the DSL frequencies being used. A DSL modem should be able to handle a normal ringing signal without a problem.

I thought the filter also kept the low frequencies out of the ADSL modem?, certainly the ones I've taken to pieces (because I'm nosey) have.

When I say filter, in regards to this conversation, I am referring to essentially baluns and chokes. But I think you have eliminated any external filter problems. My modem operates just fine with no external filter.

It has to be the ringer signal knocking you offline. The ringer signal can actually be as high as 140 volts. The modem has to have some kind of way of protecting itself from it. That protection seems to have failed to some degree. The inline filters do offer some protection but I feel, by what you have described about all the phones and filters being unplugged, that the issue is with the modem's circuit protection components. It could be an internal filter or some solid state device or a combination of both. But I think you have isolated the problem to the modem, barring any weird wiring or grounding problem with the adsl line. Do you smell anything like a burned component inside it? The little voice in my head is saying" lighting damaged component". It's also saying other things but if I scream real loud I can't hear it.

AT&T can do a remote diagnostic on my modem, maybe your provider can do the same.

Last edited:
I thought the filter also kept the low frequencies out of the ADSL modem?, certainly the ones I've taken to pieces (because I'm nosey) have.

Well I've had DSL service for 5 years or so and I had to install the modem and all the filters (they gave me 5 in the self-install package). The instructions were quite clear on where and how to install the filters and a filter must not be installed between the modem and the phone line, their instructions and drawings were quite clear on this. I'm using ATT DSL service so I can't speak of other possible DSL systems. The fact that a DSL filter attenuates DSL signal frequencies says that it's not logical that it could be placed in front of a DSL modem, how would the modem then be able to send and receive DSL frequencies?

Lefty

Last edited:
do you have the phone jack filter thing....i dont know what its called. but it prevents droped calls and works better with DSL internet.

Yes, I have filters. But no phones connected to the line means no filters to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back