Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Person/Animal Detect Sensor For Microprocessors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Hi,

I have a large RC vehicle that needs to turn off if a person/animal comes too close to it for safety reasons. Is there a sensor available, preferably heat detection, that has a 360 degree detect range available on the market? I need to be able to maybe set the sensor in the middle of the RC vehicle, and it can detect a person from all angles of the vehicle.

I'm just not sure what products are out there that I can easily integrate into my microprocessor to make this happen.

Thanks

Hi,

The infra red units used on household external security lamps or the smaller internal burglar alarm sensors should work and are cheap enough though you might need 2 or 3 to cover 360 degrees.
They usually have a simple switched output so easily connected to a micro.

Perhaps have a rotating mirror to direct IR onto a sensor?

Well, I was thinking today, and I am curious to know what types of sensors cars use for the backup object collision detect sensors? These sensors seem to work well while the car is actually in motion.

Some sensors may not work too well if the object the sensor is mounted on is also moving. I need something similar to what cars use to prevent backing up into something probably. I don't think I can find a good "heat" detection sensor, so I will probably have to live with something like an ultrasonic ping sensor or something in that neighborhood??

You could use something like this, however, it's field of view is very wide. This could be restricted with a tube and then the rotating mirror would give a bell curve as it passes the point of a person. Just a suggestion.

Mike.

how about a small sonar. Ping will hook right up to a pic or such.

I'm thinking PING/ultrasonic is probably the way to go, I'm just searching for something that has a wide viewing angle so that I don't have to purchase like 4 or 5 ping sensors to detect all angles of the vehicle. Of course I can attach a ping sensor to a servo motor that swivels back and forth, but if there are sensors out there with a wider field of view, that's the road I think needs to be taken?

Do you have an example of this, and does it work well for outdoors mounted onto a moving vehicle?
Sorry, no example. I had in mind something like the rotating beams used on top of emergency vehicles, police cars etc, but with the light replaced by a PIR sensor.

Most PIR do not "see" animals or detect through glass (mirror), but will activate if the IR is reflected from a polished metal surface. E

Microwave/ doppler transceivers as used in high end vehicle alarms should give you 360 degree coverage over maybe 3-4' or thereabouts. They usually have a simple o/c output making it real easy to hook up to a micro :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back