Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

people trolling me for lifestyle choices that are different

Status
Not open for further replies.

edddyyyy

just thought i would make a more appropriate thread to move off topic discussions in my electronics threads.

please insert any trollposts, s***posts, comments unworthy of 4chan, and mexican waves to the chant of yay umerica!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't care here either until my lifestyle and profession gets ignorantly ripped on first then it's on! (The war on ignorance/idiocity/stupidity that is!) :D

Anyone can hate what I do and what I live for but they had better do it with solid rational facts to justify their reasoning to why I and what I do makes me such a bad person. ;)

Same here!! We seem to all share a healthy interest in electronics... I don't care what members do in there alternate existence... I think anyone who does pickup on lifestyle choices are scared... Fear is a terrible thing...

tcmtech To me you are like a breath of fresh air.... Straight to the point, calls a spade a spade!! Some don't like it.. So what!!!

Something you'll find with real engineers is that we are a strange bunch with some strange mannerisms but generally not vindictive or nasty.

Some of the best engineers I've ever met have managed to unintentionally insult a whole forum full of members before being banned ;)

On the plus side, you've got access to a huge vat of knowledge here so if you're happy to take the rough with the smooth you're laughing :)

yeah thats all fine but lets just banter away from an electronics thread. it does bug me that so many people respond with buy this buy that, and thats not always viable. the whole point i thought of an electronics forum is to enable building and repairing. and its good to learn how to make stuff work.
most of my life was spent in various bits of the MOD and i well know how easy things are with a limitless budget.
had enough of that.
now im sippin moonshine and fresh cherry juice with a great internet connection.

Some people don't like my MO either. I throw out choices no matter what the cost or how silly they might be. I may recommend, but will never force an opinion. My options will assume a limitless budget and one that isn't. Some bosses, the the cost concious/mico-management kind don;t seem to like it. The others, like the part that they make the choice given all the pros and cons. It also means that I don;t take the flack.

A few times I proposed a radically different method and these are some results:

1) Are you sure it will work? Yes --> It was implemented
2) It uses feedback. More expensive than we could afford. Denied. Later implemented 17 years later with a new supervisor.
3) The design your using is a shock hazard. It's drawing power (about 20 W) from Ground. It's against NEC rules.
It's worked for 30 years.

tcmtech To me you are like a breath of fresh air.... Straight to the point, calls a spade a spade!! Some don't like it.. So what!!!

That's mostly my logical rational engineering mentality and hard-won experience to blame for that. :D

So many of the things I 'bluntly point out' come from first-hand experiences where I wasted a whole lot of time and money and worse trying to beat a poorly designed discombobulation of old and surplus/salvaged parts into a semi-functional borderline reliable device when in the end I could have bought an off the shelf unit new for far less and had a functional system in the end. Especially so when it comes to stand alone AE power projects. :(

Add in years of personal dealing with the AE and related eco crowds that to be honest tend to be quite far from reality on their perceptions of the real what, why and how of doing full AE and it gets a bit old.

Sure wind energy, solar energy, and even a goober pedaling a bicycle generator are all free sources of power but the reality is the process and gear to convert those energies into something useful and at a level high enough to be life sustainingly practical is not a cheap toss it together on a weekend out of miscellaneous mixed and unmatched beat up junk DIY project which by far seems to be the belief and mentality behind those w who think they want to live that way. :facepalm:

As with seen in this guys project. An 800 watt load that has to run for several hours at a time doesn't seem like that big of a challenge but to be honest in average human power terms that 800 watts continuous load is 10 - 12 healthy fit adults pedaling bicycle generators non-stop or one guy doing it for 12+ hours to charge a battery for every hour the pump runs.

That's the reality behind full independent off-grid AE/RE living. It ain't cheap, it ain't easy and it certainly ain't glamorous unless you find living a life style of a near slave to sustaining your own bare minimum existence in basic no frills sub-poverty level living conditions. Farming by hand and living off the land at a scale that is realistically self-sustainable largely on your own is crazy hard work without modern machine and power assistance. :sorry:

Some people don't like my MO either. I throw out choices no matter what the cost or how silly they might be. I may recommend, but will never force an opinion. My options will assume a limitless budget and one that isn't. Some bosses, the the cost concious/mico-management kind don;t seem to like it. The others, like the part that they make the choice given all the pros and cons. It also means that I don;t take the flack.

Similar process here. I give my advice based on what I know and understand and to what level of resources I have or I know are available to most anyone who is willing to look where I tell them to.

I try to make the majority of my suggestions to be as minimalistic and still be workable with near third world poverty level resources when possible and when people get uptight about that level being too high for them and over their budget and skill sets to heck with them. Some things can only be designed so basic and that's it. To me, every concept has a realistic minimum workable design level and that's what I aim for and nothing below that. Take it or leave it. It's not my time, money, sweat, and blood being wasted on their ill-conceived project. ;)

thats the pioneer spirit alright
Unfortunately some haven't had the experience of "need Vs want"

A couple of years ago I was in Baku... On the outskirts of Baku the oil is just laying on the ground oozing up and its just there for the taking!! But!! what would a local do with it.... All he can do is buy an oil fired boiler to keep warm..

I saw one guy who had removed the rear axle from a broken car, made makeshift paddles and attached to the wheel rims. He connected the front part of the propshaft to an old washing machine and suspended the whole thing in a fast flowing river.... Tada crappy electricity!!

With gallons of oil lying all around... I couldn't understand ( being a westerner ) why he was living this way.... As far as he was concerned the oil was worthless.....

We have no idea have we.... Some westerners ( me included ) take sooo much for granted..

just thought i would make a more appropriate thread to move off topic discussions in my electronics threads.

please insert any trollposts, s***posts, comments unworthy of 4chan, and mexican waves to the chant of yay umerica!

Pretty useless thread. You seem genuinely interested in getting help to solve a serious problem and then come here to vent bitter feelings which I know justified.

That means wasting time and energy. As for everything in life, identify the important matters and focus on it. You said it is a crop, isnn't it?

Pretty useless thread. You seem genuinely interested in getting help to solve a serious problem and then come here to vent bitter feelings which I know justified.

That means wasting time and energy. As for everything in life, identify the important matters and focus on it. You said it is a crop, isnn't it?

i just wanted to draw silly comments about air con and jobs away from the thread about using a handful of perfectly good components to do the job they were intended to, inviting comments about THOSE components so i (and others who search this thread) can get to learn areas of electronics unfamiliar. i have the stuff and the inverter (when it works) will be a useful and expandable asset. im sure many hobbyists would like a fat igbt bridge under computer control. igbt are getting cheap now. less than the price of a goat. hate the noise that old generator makes. bitter about the inverter that blew. i do have an old ups that i could lash up.
when the new inverter is done i will have the skills to do something more interesting with the other 4x 400a 600v bricks. thats like.. a megawatt maan!

when the new inverter is done i will have the skills to do something more interesting with the other 4x 400a 600v bricks. thats like.. a megawatt maan!

????o_O

My math says 400 x 600 is only 240,000 watts or just under 1/4 of a megawatt.
Also practical designe experience says that in a proper H-bridge-type inverter design you don't run your switching devices over 2/3's their rated voltage and half their rated current which thusly makes for a 400 amp 600-volt switching device based H-bridge inverter good for building at most a 400 VDC 200 amp to 277 VAC 150 amp power inverter which would be good for about 42 KW peak which is about 4.2% of a megawatt. :facepalm:

Unfortunately some haven't had the experience of "need Vs want"

In a sense that very much applies to trying to live 100% off the land with little to no modern machine and technological assistance. Why bother with it unless you are stuck in such an extremely remote location that there is no other practical alternative?

Living the subsistence lifestyle is not going to give a person any degree of financial or time freedom unless they consider living a near homeless bum lifestyle while still putting in the 60+ hour mostly hard labor work week of any 'capitalistic drone' to do it.

The thing is, in the long run, the capitalistic drone gets to retire at 65 - 70 years of age and live a fairly comfortable decade or two more of a rather leisurely lifestyle.
The subsistence lifestyle guy living off the land doesn't. He works his long days doing hard labor just to survive right up to the day it kills him which statistically has shown that that is going to be in his mid 50's to mid 60's age at best.:(

I'm all for finding the easiest and most cost effective way possible to live but at some point a person has to do the basic math and look at the reality of how they are actually going to live their life and to what level of comfort they want to live it at for how long.

Living at a near sub third world poverty level and a hard labor lifestyle is fine if that all you have to work with but if you live in a modern culture with all the conveniences and ease of modern life at your fingertips it just comes across as self-abusive and rather unrealistic. :oops:

i went back to civilisation for 2 years. got fat. couldnt put antennas up. had to talk to people. never more

And how does that lead to getting a chip on your shoulder over capitalism and those who have standard jobs being a bad thing? :angelic:

Sour grapes principle? o_O

Edddyyyy, move to mid-West Wales - we have more rain than we will ever need! It is raining right now.

(Cowers as Edddyyyy swings cricket bat in my direction!)

Seriously, though, perhaps everyone could accept each others lifestyle choices, do a virtual hand-shake and leave this thread there.

This s a 7+ month old thread and the OP disappeared from the site shortly after. (most likely in a butthurt huff at that.) :rolleyes:

Most of us here are rather accepting of others lifestyles.

What we are not so easily accepting of is people who come here wanting help then throw fits when the help requires them to have to accept that what they are wanting is unrealistic or outrightly unachievable by the methods, processes and or lifestyle goals they wish to incorporate as the OP did here. :oops:

FWIW if you dig into his threads a bit you will find he was likely another unemployed/unemployable hippie bum who thought that the live off the land lifestyle was the way to get ahead in life being on paper and by hippie bum reasonings should cost nothing financially and very little in actual effort to do being nature will provide everything they need for them.

Reality however was pretty much kicking his ass top to bottom day in and day out largely due to the combination of gross levels of very poor and highly unrealistic planing on his part and just being really cheap hence the big fuss over us 'capitalistic pigs' and our lifestyles that do for the most part give us what we need and with ease (the lifestyle he wanted) but we in trade actually have to have and hold productive paying jobs in return. (hippie nirvana except for the having to hold a job and use rational sense and planning part.) :facepalm:

Whats a lifestyle choice? No one told me we get a choice!

Got a list or a app to pick one?

yes i know 4 am is early, I was going fishing this morning, i didnt realise i had looked up tide times using the 2016 calculator:oops:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back