Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Paypal scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so different computer on a different network has the same problem. Guess I have no choice but to call customer service....

Ok guys, I got so fed up with paypal that I just closed my whole darn account. I couldn't deal with their cr*p anymore. They gave me nothing but trouble. I've decided it probably wasn't a scam--just paypal being a bunch of ***holes (and trust me, I don't talk like that often!!). I got sick and tired of all the problems they were giving me and I wasn't about to give them another chance. I sent various emails to them, and they didn't even reply. As it is, I gave them more chances than I should have. I might end up just using my debit card, though I really didn't want to put the card number online. I suppose it's better than giving these morons my bank account info, ssn, name, phone number, address, etc. I can't even begin to describe how angry and annoyed I am right now, so I should probably cut this rant short. I don't want to start spewing inappropriate phrases on what's normally a clean, decent forum. I just wanted to let you all know what's going on. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
No, No, No do not use a debit card. You have no protection, use a credit card, you can protest any charges. As an option, you may be able to get a "prepaid" card. Keep a zero or minimum balance.

No, No, No do not use a debit card. You have no protection, use a credit card, you can protest any charges. As an option, you may be able to get a "prepaid" card. Keep a zero or minimum balance.

Good thought. A reloadable VISA gift card could do the trick....

Now I just need to figure out where to get one.... :p

Thanks very much!

Okay all, I finally called paypal customer service today. I don't know why I did it. I guess I really need the convenience of paypal. Anyway, I got into this useless automated system that ran me around in circles. It kept asking what I wanted to do, and to say a phrase. I guess it'd try to look up "help" sections with the keywords I spoke, sort of like google. Anyway, none of it was what I needed. I tried a few different things, but the automated service system was useless and didn't help at all. I finally got fed up and I just yelled into the phone "I NEED TO TALK TO A REAL PERSON!". To my surprise, it said "Okay" and connected me to a real live ENGLISH SPEAKING service rep. Of course I was very rude, after all I've been through, but he seemed fairly calm and was able to help me figure out what was going on with my paypal. It wasn't a scam, which I kind of realized recently anyway. It had to do with the name I was using on my account (It was an alias, to protect my identity online). My account came up for review and found out that the name on the account didn't match the other information I had provided. They decided that was enough reason to freeze the account altogether. Anyway, I've decided against putting my real name out. A friend of mine agreed to let me use his account at times when I really need it.

So, that's where I stand. I still hate the system and wish there was an alternative, but really there's not much I can do. Just wanted to let you know what the problem was.

Cheers everyone, and as always, thanks for listening to my rants and complaints :p

Your rants are funny, Der :)

As a side note, one the phishing stuff.. I use Thunderbird to read my mails. Being on many mailing-lists that require text-only messages, I check the proper options in Thunderbird to read AND write mails in text only mode.

So I only receive mails in text. Being paranoid enough, I sometimes read the source of the mail (View Source). See for yourself this RIDICULOUS spam/phishing mail that I received from someone wanting to impersonate Western Union. https://pastebin.com/nqSHjy0W

How dumb they are, I don't know.

You gave fake information, I'm not at all surprised Paypal was suspicious! In fact I am thankful their fraud detection system obviously works!

As much as I hate giving my information away to third parties - giving real details with Paypal is a lot less hassle and is the only way it works (they have to stop fraud) and if you make a lot of purchases (they have to verify who you are after a limit). The whole point of it is that your card/bank details are kept with them and not shown to the people you are purchasing from.

I agree with JMW, using your debit card is asking for trouble!

Last edited:
You gave fake information, I'm not at all surprised Paypal was suspicious! In fact I am thankful their fraud detection system obviously works!

Yes, I realize this whole thing was all my fault. I just wish Paypal had a "username" feature so that you didn't have to put out your real name online. As you guys have probably seen from this thread. I'm rather paranoid and don't give any of my information out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back