Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Paypal scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that it takes 3 to 5 days to transfer funds. It leaves my account on day 1, but doesn't appear in the other account for a period of time. I always thought the speed of light was constant. I realize that it slows a bit in copper and the processors do require a finite amount of time. However 3 days. Even my emails only take a few minutes at most. Of course my emails are a much higher priority than any bank transfer, but 3 to 5 days, really. I think MIT or Stanford should request a gizillion dollar grant to study this phenomena.

I find it interesting that it takes 3 to 5 days to transfer funds. It leaves my account on day 1, but doesn't appear in the other account for a period of time. I always thought the speed of light was constant. I realize that it slows a bit in copper and the processors do require a finite amount of time. However 3 days. Even my emails only take a few minutes at most. Of course my emails are a much higher priority than any bank transfer, but 3 to 5 days, really. I think MIT or Stanford should request a gizillion dollar grant to study this phenomena.

I know exactly what you mean. I've never really understood it either. I guess the whole authorization thing takes 3-5 days. Oh well. As long as I get the money, I can wait. Right now, there are bigger fish to fry :p

Just got this email this morning:

Hello ,

Thanks for reporting that suspicious-looking email. The email you
received was not sent by PayPal and it links to a fake website. We are
investigating and working on stopping the fraud.

If you have already given any personal or financial information to this
fake website, you should immediately log in to your PayPal account and
change the password and secret questions. You should also tell your bank
about this problem.

To learn how to change your password, go to the PayPal website, click
"Help" at the top of the page, and enter "How do I change my password?"
in the search box.

You should report any unauthorized account activity to PayPal. Here's
how:

Last edited:
So I just went to change my password, and it's saying that in order to do so, I need to enter my full bank account number to prove that I am the owner of the account. I'm 99% sure PayPal wouldn't have me do that. I think I'm still on the fake site. Guess things aren't working out like I thought they were :mad:

Last edited:
Looks like this tidbit too needs to be relayed to scam@paypal

Ok guys, I looked up the security certificate information for the paypal page, and found this. What do you think--is this "Private Organization" in France legit?

View attachment 64775

Sorry for the frequent posts, but this is what the latitude and longitude given from the IP lookup site points to:

View attachment 64776

I know the latitude and longitude are approximate, but this is ridiculous!

The number from the SSL certificate is not an IP address. Therefore it has nothing to do with France, or the latitude and longitude.

For those who care, the number is an OID (a field type in an SSL certificate) and is described here: **broken link removed**

Thanks for that, ed. Shows you how much I know :p:rolleyes:

This is off topic, but I use Bank of America, while they have issues, they do have a unique sign in system. When you open your online account they send you a group of pictures of various objects, you choose one and then are asked to name it. Whenvever you log in you get this picture with the name you chose, if you don't see it the site is false and you don't enter your passcode. It is obvious the group you are dealing with are better equipped than the Nigerian millionaires I have befriended. I don't recall if you've done this, but can you access Paypal through ebay or some other vendor?
The problem seems to be that you don't know when your linked to Paypal, and Paypal can't verify that you're Derstrom. You may have to fire up the Yugo and take a road trip.

I've tried accessing paypal through ebay, on different browsers, different networks, etc, and they all seem to give me the same problems. It's really starting to bug me. I have their phone number, and I've been meaning to give them a call, but I just haven't felt like talking to someone who doesn't speak english.....

(I don't mean any offense to the non-english speakers here--I am just really bad at understanding accents :p)

perhaps you can close your paypal account and open a fresh account on some other email account.
mean time they themselves suggest not to use pre clicked ones for replying. always land on paypal.com and login fresh
there are locations where you can send querries, as a last resort feed back location, if some one reads.

incidentally i used it on Saturday from India and had no issues. please check and eliminate malware from your desk/lap tops

Last edited:
I've tried accessing paypal through ebay, on different browsers, different networks, etc, and they all seem to give me the same problems. It's really starting to bug me. I have their phone number, and I've been meaning to give them a call, but I just haven't felt like talking to someone who doesn't speak english.....

(I don't mean any offense to the non-english speakers here--I am just really bad at understanding accents :p)

In all honesty D8 I find the phone the best way to sort things out - it was the only way I got Dell to give me my money back! I suggest you bite the bullet and ring them.

Also you have yet to try another PC - which if your problemss are result of malware/virus it is the place your problem is.

Last edited:
perhaps you can close your paypal account and open a fresh account on some other email account.
mean time they themselves suggest not to use pre clicked ones for replying. always land on paypal.com and login fresh
there are locations where you can send querries, as a last resort feed back location, if some one reads.

incidentally i used it on Saturday from India and had no issues. please check and eliminate malware from your desk/lap tops

I had considered closing it and opening a new one, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. I'd have to change the name on the account, and probably need a different bank account. There are just too many things I'd have to change. I'll do it as a last resort though.

I've already run malware scans, virus scans, and just about every other scan you can think of. Nothing turned up.

@Rich:

I'll probably try another computer on a different network sometime this coming weekend. I'll be visiting an old friend, so we'll see what happens when I try logging in from his computer.

Wish me luck!

Remember the TV show Taxi? Andy Kaufman aka Latka. Spoke no known language, but got the message across. Try out his routine the next time. They might just bounce you around until they find someone you can converse with.

Here's another idea, try logging in on a different computer, possibly someone who can access PayPal. Then try and get into your account. Or try and set up a new account, with a new email, bank etc. PO Boxes work just fine.

Remember the TV show Taxi? Andy Kaufman aka Latka. Spoke no known language, but got the message across. Try out his routine the next time. They might just bounce you around until they find someone you can converse with.

Here's another idea, try logging in on a different computer, possibly someone who can access PayPal. Then try and get into your account. Or try and set up a new account, with a new email, bank etc. PO Boxes work just fine.

Hahaha, never saw the show, but I'll look it up :D

I've tried on several different computers, tried different networks, but now that I think of it, not both at once. I'll have to get somewhere with a computer on a different network and I'll see what happens. I'd really rather not have to open a new bank account--that's a bit of a pain, and between work and things I need to take care of at home, I really can't take the time to go through all the red tape to do it. First things first, I guess....

You reminded me.

I just read the 6 page ordeal.

I too am very suspicious, I thankfully don't use my bank account, just my Credit Card. I will make a transaction allow a day or two and then remove it.

After your reminder, I just removed the Card. Thank you.

Best wishes. kv

Last edited:
I just read the 6 page ordeal.

I too am very suspicious, I thankfully don't use my bank account, just my Credit Card. I will make a transaction allow a day or two and then remove it.

After your reminder, I just removed the Card. Thank you.

Best wishes. kv

Hi KV, good to see you! I haven't heard from you in a while :D

Glad I could help!

I'm looking into just getting those pre-paid Credit Cards. I'm just not sure if I can use it with my PayPal Account. That way if PayPal get's hacked. My information on my Card can't be compromised.

Just use it for the amount of the purchase.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm looking into just getting those pre-paid Credit Cards. I'm just not sure if I can use it with my PayPal Account. That way if PayPal get's hacked. My information on my Card can't be compromised.

Just use it for the amount of the purchase.

That's a very good idea. It's an extra step, but well worth it!

Thankfully I only have 29 cents in my account, so I don't have too much to worry about ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back