Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Paypal scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hey guys. I recently got an email from "Paypal" that said there were some policy changes and they needed some additional information. I didn't really think much of it (I've seen this sort of thing before, and it was legit), so I (stupidly) clicked the link to paypal that was given in the email, and ever since, every time I've logged into Paypal it asks me for proof of address, proof of social security, and a photo ID. I'm sure this is a scam, as I doubt paypal wouldn't ask for those. At first I figured it was linked just to my computer--if I tried logging into paypal from a different computer I thought it would work. I tried that yesterday and paypal asked for my information anyway. I don't seem to have any access to my real account, and I will NOT fax the info they're asking for! I've been on google and I found a couple of similar scams from 2008. This one is the most like what I'm dealing with. Hardly anything has changed. Most of the people on that thread were somewhat stupid, IMO, because they eventually sent all the information. They also called the phone number on the FAKE paypal site, which means the "representatives" they talked to were actually the scammers. I eventually deleted the first email I received from "support@paypal.com" without thinking of forwarding it to paypal's scam reporting address ("spoof@paypal.com"), and I've been kicking myself ever since. Instead, I decided to take some screenshots of what I was seeing and attached them to an email to spoof. I have yet to hear back from them.

I am wondering if anyone else has come across this situation, and whether you think it's a scam, or if I'm just being paranoid. I'm 99.9% sure it's fake, but I'd like some other opinions. I really need my real paypal back, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Der Strom

Basically never even bother reading anything that randomly appears in your inbox like this, almost all of them will be obvious scams.

Yes, thank you very much. very helpful :D:p

I just wasn't thinking when I opened it, and I am hoping there's a way to get my real account back. That's mainly what this thread's for--not for talking about how stupid I was for opening the email in the first place ;)

Good luck getting it sorted out Derstrom - I refuse to use anything other than credit cards online as anything else typically offers little or no protection - I hope you are covered just in case :eek:. Although your wanna be scammers are still in the "fishing" stage I am paranoid about online purchases.

In the rare occasions when I think such emails maybe legit I always go to the site myself - never via the link in the email.

I really hate how online shopping is becoming so prevalent - it's ruining traditional shopping. When I used to want to buy something it was just a case of going to the shops, getting it and coming back - say a 30 minute job. It's becoming harder to do that as shops are stocking less and less "as its online" or it's available on steam/itunes as a digital download. ( I want a real CD/DVD or record thanks!)

Now I have to order things online, wait a a day or two for the company to ship, and then wait 2-5 days for parcel farce to get round to delivering my stuff... It's pants!

Last edited:
Hi,

At first i didnt line online purchases either, but around this area they dont stock much anymore, and many of the good places like all the hardware stores closed up. It's almost like online is the only place left to get things anymore. It has always been that way for electronic parts though as i can never get the stuff i need around here...it is all online now or else i cant get the part at all.
I have the same problem with an older car i am attempting to restore. Parts online or cant get them at all.

But more to the point of this thread...
I got an email from PP too about a year or two ago asking for me to visit the site and click some stuff i think. I hope that wasnt some sort of scam but never heard anything else about it. I think they said i had to visit the site to keep my PP account active because i hadn't used it in quite a while.

Last edited:
I got the same e-mail on April 24, 2012. Forwarded it to "spoof@paypal.com" and it was confirmed as fraudulent.

Good luck straightening the mess out. John

I got the same e-mail on April 24, 2012. Forwarded it to "spoof@paypal.com" and it was confirmed as fraudulent.

Good luck straightening the mess out. John

Thanks very much John. I really appreciate that!

If I were you, I would contact Paypal customer service via telephone and tell them what happened, I am sure they can advise you on corrective measures.

If I were you, I would contact Paypal customer service via telephone and tell them what happened, I am sure they can advise you on corrective measures.

Thanks Mike. First I need to find the right phone number. There was one mentioned in one of those emails, but I imagine that just connects to the scammers. I'll have to find the REAL one first....

Log into your PayPal account. Under Contact Us, find call. When you click on that you will get a phone number and a pass code number.

John

Log into your PayPal account. Under Contact Us, find call. When you click on that you will get a phone number and a pass code number.

John

See, that's the problem. How do I know I'm logging into my real account, and not the paypal phishing site? They could show the number of a fake customer service setup. Maybe I am being too paranoid, but I do NOT want them to get more information from me than they already have.

See, that's the problem. How do I know I'm logging into my real account, and not the paypal phishing site? They could show the number of a fake customer service setup. Maybe I am being too paranoid, but I do NOT want them to get more information from me than they already have.

Have an e-bay account? I always use the portal from e-bay to paypal when doing anything with paypal.

Or if that doesn't work send me all of your info and I'll take care of it for you.:rolleyes:;):D

The PayPal number is 1-888-221-1161

I am reluctant to give the pass code I got, since it is linked to my account and some trolls will get it too.

As for the e-mail, I have found going to properties (right click) very useful in detecting the real thing; although, I would not put complete faith in that. The phished sites will usually have a return or something that is suspicious. The one I got was "help@payp.support18.com"

I would still recommend logging in, get the number (same as above) and your own pass code. If the phone number matches that is probably a good sign. The pass code's I have gotten were 6 numeric digits. Actually, I have never called PayPal.

Worse case, let's go PM and I will call PayPal for you and try to get a pass code for you with just your username. No way do I want your password.

John

Have an e-bay account? I always use the portal from e-bay to paypal when doing anything with paypal.

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the link from paypal and I ended back up on the one asking for my personal info.

The PayPal number is 1-888-221-1161

Thanks. I'll have to give them a call this weekend. Much appreciated!

As for the e-mail, I have found going to properties (right click) very useful in detecting the real thing; although, I would not put complete faith in that. The phished sites will usually have a return or something that is suspicious. The one I got was "help@payp.support18.com"

If only I hadn't deleted that email yet :p

I would still recommend logging in, get the number (same as above) and your own pass code. If the phone number matches that is probably a good sign. The pass code's I have gotten were 6 numeric digits. Actually, I have never called PayPal.

Excellent. I'll give that a shot right now. Thanks guys! :)

An occerance with me

G'day Guy's,
I had a similar thing happen this week after I won an auction on a MOD-GPS from Olimex. I got an email asking for verification after paypal had deducted my account. I also had an email saying the goods were on the way by royal mail. I contacted Olimex and asked did my payment go thru and what about this email. The same was done with paypal and I was told don't open any attachments as this is fraud and yes you did do a secure transaction.

Under my old user nic in fleabay I was scammed for $500 US so I went under a new nic 'uppsndowns' and that is me and every deal I have done fleabay and paypal are on the ball.

Guy's I will say scammers are pretty good so although you might have a good record after what I went through a new account might be needed.

Fleabay will see it is you then they should take the steps to monitor your account too.

Regards Bryan

If it's a DNS spoof, then try going to one of paypal's addresses:

C:\Users\Owner>nslookup www.paypal.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.0.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: active-www.paypal.com
Addresses: 173.0.88.34

Aliases: www.paypal.com
www.paypal.com.akadns.net
wlb.paypal.com.akadns.net

and I do recommend www.malwarebytes.com (not free, but very low cost) and Microsoft Security Essentials (free).

Initial scans should be made in safe mode and not connected to the internet. MSE will take a few hours to complete.

Last edited:
If it's a DNS spoof, then try going to one of paypal's addresses:

C:\Users\Owner>nslookup www.paypal.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.0.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: active-www.paypal.com
Addresses: 173.0.88.34

Aliases: www.paypal.com
www.paypal.com.akadns.net
wlb.paypal.com.akadns.net

and I do recommend www.malwarebytes.com (not free, but very low cost) and Microsoft Security Essentials (free).

Initial scans should be made in safe mode and not connected to the internet. MSE will take a few hours to complete.

Thanks KISS. They all seem to take me to the same place, where paypal is asking for my information. If I didn't know for a fact that they don't ask for that sort of information (as explained in their privacy policy and security information), I'd say it was legit. It's really starting to bug me. I'm waiting for an email back from spoof@paypal.com. Hopefully they'll answer.

I appreciate your help and support guys. Hopefully this'll all get resolved soon.

Regards,
Der Strom

P.S. Each time I typed in an address into the url bar and hit enter, Chrome came up with its "This probably isn't the site you're looking for" screen. I've seen it before, but not in this situation. Is that supposed to happen, of is it sensing some sort of redirection or something from the real address?

Interesting, DerStrom. I get the same messages on Chrome and on Firefox.

I understand your feelings of vulnerability. It is like when your home is invaded, you never feel safe again.

Spoof will probably respond, but it will all be by e-mail.

I think the likelihood that the PayPal phone number has also been hacked is remote -- that would be a Federal crime. I would prefer talking to a real person. Do you have the ability to record a phone? (I believe Vermont is a one-party state.)

John

Interesting, DerStrom. I get the same messages on Chrome and on Firefox.

I understand your feelings of vulnerability. It is like when your home is invaded, you never feel safe again.

Spoof will probably respond, but it will all be by e-mail.

I think the likelihood that the PayPal phone number has also been hacked is remote -- that would be a Federal crime. I would prefer talking to a real person. Do you have the ability to record a phone? (I believe Vermont is a one-party state.)

John

Exactly, John. The main thing is that I needed to use paypal for something, and then this happened. The timing was just awful--that's what's really getting me.

I could probably find a way to record a phone call. Yes, Vermont is a one-party state, so it would be legal to record it without telling the person on the other end.
I'll definitely have to give them a call, either way.

Sounds like you've got some malware on your PC which is re-directing you to a spoof site. You'll need to eliminate that before other personal info gets into the wrong hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back