Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Partitioning 240 GB SSD for Ubuntu Linux, SMB share & Renaming Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
Hey guys:

Can you give me a suggested partition arrangement for putting Linux on a 240 GB Solid State Drive?

and even how to do it.

Somehow I get the feeling that there should be at least 3 partitions.
An Ext3 for Linux itself
A small, like 5 or 6 GB partition for a minimal Linux system
and say a 20 GB? partition as NTFS.

Ideally, I'd like to put the main file system, e.g /usr/home somewhere else and possibly on it's own partition.

So, I'd like some help as to how to do it.

---

I also need some hints for how to set up access through windows networking.

Also, any easy way to change the name of a thumb drive when they all show up as /media/KINGSTON?

I have been running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from a CD since June. So, now it's time to move to a HD or in this case a Solid State SATA 2.5" drive.

I would use ext2 because SSDs have a finite amount of writing they can tolerate, and writing a journal in ext3 creates some extra writing. For the same reason, you probably do not need a swap partition usually used by Linux. Other measures may be taken to minimize writes to SSD, such as mounting /var on a ram disk. Mounting the SSD partitons with "noatime" attribute is a good idea to prevent lots of writing associated with keeping track of access time.

I'm not sure if Ubuntu allows these things or not. I tried to install it recently and it looked very pushy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back