Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Part in a Kenwood Chef unidentified!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi folks,

I was repairing a Kenwood Chef food mixer for a friend and came across a semiconductor that is well marked but I cannot find anywhere on the net, I'm guessing its an SCR as its on the hot side of the circuit and seems to be carrying 230v AC if my deductions are correct.

The part is a TO220 package with the usual 3 pins, it's heatsinked and is marked PH71719 - E8201.

Any specs or even an equivalent would be much appreciated so I could get it mended and back to the old lady who has depended on it for many years. Besides I am not getting the lovely pieces of home made cake when I visit now! ;)

Thanks for looking............Al

Not much help Al, but often parts like this have 'in house' markings, which can't be identified - you're supposed to source the part as a spare from Kenwood.

But it's probably a TRIAC, unless there's a bridge rectifer involved, in which case it might be a thyristor.

Hi folks,

I was repairing a Kenwood Chef food mixer for a friend and came across a semiconductor that is well marked but I cannot find anywhere on the net, I'm guessing its an SCR as its on the hot side of the circuit and seems to be carrying 230v AC if my deductions are correct.

The part is a TO220 package with the usual 3 pins, it's heatsinked and is marked PH71719 - E8201.

Any specs or even an equivalent would be much appreciated so I could get it mended and back to the old lady who has depended on it for many years. Besides I am not getting the lovely pieces of home made cake when I visit now! ;)

Thanks for looking............Al

Hi Al,
Perhaps here, I like cake, especially with a nice brew.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=PH71719&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Not much help Al, but often parts like this have 'in house' markings, which can't be identified - you're supposed to source the part as a spare from Kenwood.

But it's probably a TRIAC, unless there's a bridge rectifer involved, in which case it might be a thyristor.

Hi Nigel,

Kenwood unfortunately don't support the older models any more, for spares or data! You are right about the bridge though, there are four diodes just next to the part that seem to be in the form of a bridge.

I'm guessing that someone has maybe had a mixer apart that had a different numbered part in that they were able to source. One that had maybe a Texas Instrument, or other that has a number thats not in house to Kenwood.

Al

Hi Eric,

Yes mate I tried that but they all seem to want me to buy 250 of them. :eek:

Lets up the ante, anyone comes up with the answer I will send them one of her legendary buns! ;)

Al

hi,
Why dont you sketch out and post the circuit.?

It must be a simple circuit knowing Kenwood building to a budget.:)

Kenwood unfortunately don't support the older models any more, for spares or data! You are right about the bridge though, there are four diodes just next to the part that seem to be in the form of a bridge.

I'm not even sure who Kenwood belongs to now?, your mixer probably dates from when it was actually Kenwood.

Try a TRIAC and see what happens!.

Even if it's an SCR, a TRIAC will probably still work anyway.

The chances are it's not too critical, most TRIACs and SCRs with a suitable current rating will probably work.

Hi guys,

Just found an obscure reference to the Triac as a substitute for a BT137, well I had a BT136 and the only difference was that the 137 was 8 amp and the 136 was 4 amp, well the motor is only 700w so I assume they had way overrated the component and tried a 136.

Result! Works perfectly, BTW I had already changed the brushes which I think caused the Triac to go in the first place?

Anyway she's happy again now so I'm waiting for the cakes! :)

Thanks for all the input guys.............Al

hi
Could any body have any idea (circuit) about how to drive a 230v bulb using TRIAC, but Triac should switch using PIC signal (that means when pic generate 5v then TRAIC should switch and 230v Bulb should Lite)

thanks

hi
Could any body have any idea (circuit) about how to drive a 230v bulb using TRIAC, but Triac should switch using PIC signal (that means when pic generate 5v then TRAIC should switch and 230v Bulb should Lite)

thanks

I think you posted in wrong place but you should probably use a transistor switch.

Hi All,
I am busy repairing an OLD kenwood mixer at the moment. The only electronic components in the machine are a 47nf 250v cap , a 150nf 250v cap , a 56 ohm 2 watt resistor , a 220 ohm 2 watt resistor and a 71713 8 amp 600 volt triac.I am going to replace the caps and the triac and hope for the best.
Cheers for now
Reg
regbrand@hotmail.com

Hello,
I'm not used to this forum. So I don't know whether people got my message about an old Kenwood chef robot 250 and its unknown TRIAC 71719. I have found the solution. I bought a
BTA 08 600B to replace it . It works nicely now. Anyway, thanks very much to those who tried to answer me. Cheers. Bernardhinio

Old, dead post, I know, but for the record, the same triac appears in the Kenwood Chef A901 speed controller and the more recent Chef Classic KM336 and various other models. The speed controller designs differ, but the triac is the same in them all. Its a jelly bean part, cheapest supplier I have found so far. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201415120547

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back