Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Our House Electrics Go Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of 20 year warranties on D fluorescents (and I work in a shop that sells them), in my professional experience they are generally fairly unreliable devices (just a normal florescent tube bent in a silly shape).

I'm also completely bemused why you would have such antiques fitted 'recently', when LED lights are vastly superior in every way.

Well.......the retailer is called W*c*s (heard of it? Check this out)

Antiques? You want to see my girlfriend! Old dog here I'm afraid..
Still have the paraffin lamps and the candles in the house..lol The ghosts feel at home...lol

I will show you later tonight.
Also will test the mains and show you it on video.

There is a large rat on the loose near the shed, so we are careful at night.....in case the cat gets mugged...lol

Wildlife Conservation Society?
https://www.wcs.org/

Are you honestly that paranoid you can't spell out the name of a business or company for fear of them coming after you? :rolleyes:

I nearly built my extension entirely from parts bought there... Good stuff ( Apart from the external doors.. Rotted badly )

What I find hard to buy is one person alone, seen/watching so many things/effects.

As a kid, I lived in a house where many unusual things were seen/heard/perceived (?). At that time, those occurrences were real for me but as an adult, so many years later I had to admit that, except one, I have not seen anything of what conformed the ongoing tale at home. I then stopped repeating those stories altogether.

There is an actor in this country, who surprisingly, became an UFO "investigator". After some time he was able to tell a long list of sightings full of details. I am convinced that above all, lot of people simply wants to see things.

By the way, in our country side, the Headless Horseman, still rides a horse and the Headless Widow, still floats on the ground. They do not drive a car or ride a two-wheeled Segway.

At that time, those occurrences were real for me but as an adult, so many years later I had to admit that, except one, I have not seen anything of what conformed the ongoing tale at home.
Perhaps that very common childhood ability to perceive imaginary things as real is something which persists in some adults. We all develop physically at different rates, so it's possible that mental development in certain areas of perception is delayed well into adulthood for some people (any psychologists here to confirm/deny this hypothesis?). Their view of the world would therefore be different from that of the majority and they would claim certain events to be real which others would not.

Perhaps that very common childhood ability to perceive imaginary things as real is something which persists in some adults. We all develop physically at different rates, so it's possible that mental development in certain areas of perception is delayed well into adulthood for some people (any psychologists here to confirm/deny this hypothesis?). Their view of the world would therefore be different from that of the majority and they would claim certain events to be real which others would not.

Slower than average mental development is a well known concept. In a way we all have certain areas of psychological development that run both a bit higher and a bit lower than the average mean value. It's what sets apart our natural thought process and likes and dislikes characteristics from one another.

I have a cousin who is cognitively developmentally slow. Looks as normal anyone else. talks and converses as normal as anyone else, has the same skillsets and worldviews as anyone else but, she's running about half the speed so despite looking and sounding like any common person in their late 20's mentally she is at best mid teens in how she sees and understands the world all but a few areas.
The near polar opposite of me and where I was at in my mid teens when I had been tested and largely had proven I had the mental capacity and function of some nearly twice my age.

As for the OP, I have met a number of people over the years who had his views and to be honest I never felt any of them were all that cognitively well off. They thought they were and had their little group of like minded believers to back them up but everything about whatever it was they talked aobut came out showing a moderate or worse lack of range and depth of understandings of the fundamentals of anything plus with a strong overlya of little want to lever learn them either because it would have disrupted the basis of what they believed.

Rather where their protests that scientists, physicists, engineers and whatnot don't know as much as they think they do.
Nope. Really it's largely the other way around. Most of those people do know there stuff extremely well and that it's the pseudoscience hocus pocus believers who don't really have their acts together.
(Rather like present conservative right Vs liberal left political issues here in the US right now where one side screams they know everything and how to make it work and it's the other side who does not get it despite their having a solid track record of failing embarrassingly bad at proving they know anything of value on all levels.)

Last edited:
Wildlife Conservation Society?
https://www.wcs.org/

Are you honestly that paranoid you can't spell out the name of a business or company for fear of them coming after you? :rolleyes:
ABSOLUTELY!

It scares me to death.

People and companies do not like to have their name and reputation tarnished by folks like me.

Plagiarism is serious business. They will just get at you because you see things different to the way that they see things.

It is like saying:- "What is wrong with my way of thinking....millions of folks think my way...let's get him for upsetting us!"

This is the same as re*igio* the death word or try mentioning the M*d* or A*m*n and see what rules are broken?

Dangerous society my friend.

I was on a Paranormal forum a few days ago and put a condolence message for a famous UFO researcher who had died offering sympathy and respect. His family somehow found this post and got in touch with the powers that be to get the post removed. Reason...'sensitive issue'. My friend got a rollecking and was equally mad at me for using information from his email. Perhaps it was wrong? But he could have let me deal with it instead of 'smacking me' in front of his friends to show good loyalty.

We argued by which he suggested that he had done me a favour by dispelling their anger. The concern was copyright and using info in the incorrect way. People can get nasty when someone dies as they want to hurt others (My thoughts)

So technically...if their nastiness was going to be well aimed...they could sue!

Depending how rich they are?

Dealing with others can be dangerous as I try and 'watch my back' Companies that sell devices know about copyright and if a device is used in a way that strikes anger with them, then feelings supercede costs.

On another side, I remenber sitting in the living room of Jenny Randles the TV UFO interviewer. The phone rang and it was Patrick Moore on the telephone.

She had talked about sensitive issues relating to astronomy and UFOS which seemed to anger Mr Moore? He had a reputation....a good one and was not having this degrading issue in publications. Jenny Randles is a 'Right Hand' UFO researcher and Ia m 'Left Wing'

We talk about lower, middle and upper classes in the life of the cosmos as thos e who have gained audiences in their field are not going to be happy with 'fleas on their back'

As for me...I have no reputation so I upset the whole bloody lot of them...lol

That is my feeling

Last edited:
Oh dear, Nigel. You've disclosed their name! They'll be after you and/or the OP now!

I've never heard of 20 year warranties on D fluorescents (and I work in a shop that sells them), in my professional experience they are generally fairly unreliable devices (just a normal florescent tube bent in a silly shape).

I'm also completely bemused why you would have such antiques fitted 'recently', when LED lights are vastly superior in every way.

I found this odd too, in the brief interval after CFLs came out and before LED bulbs were commonly available I had a few. They would all tout extremely long life on the box as part of the cost justification. "10x the price of a regular bulb, but lasts 30x as long!"
I never found this to be the case. The transformers often break or start to buzz, or sometimes something seems to just get disconnected internally. I like LED bulbs much more, and they produce better light without a hum, and are actually very durable.

ABSOLUTELY!

It scares me to death.

People and companies do not like to have their name and reputation tarnished by folks like me.

Plagiarism is serious business. They will just get at you because you see things different to the way that they see things.

It is like saying:- "What is wrong with my way of thinking....millions of folks think my way...let's get him for upsetting us!"

This is the same as re*igio* the death word or try mentioning the M*d* or A*m*n and see what rules are broken?

Dangerous society my friend.

I was on a Paranormal forum a few days ago and put a condolence message for a famous UFO researcher who had died offering sympathy and respect. His family somehow found this post and got in touch with the powers that be to get the post removed. Reason...'sensitive issue'. My friend got a rollecking and was equally mad at me for using information from his email. Perhaps it was wrong? But he could have let me deal with it instead of 'smacking me' in front of his friends to show good loyalty.

We argued by which he suggested that he had done me a favour by dispelling their anger. The concern was copyright and using info in the incorrect way. People can get nasty when someone dies as they want to hurt others (My thoughts)

So technically...if their nastiness was going to be well aimed...they could sue!

Depending how rich they are?

Dealing with others can be dangerous as I try and 'watch my back' Companies that sell devices know about copyright and if a device is used in a way that strikes anger with them, then feelings supercede costs.

On another side, I remenber sitting in the living room of Jenny Randles the TV UFO interviewer. The phone rang and it was Patrick Moore on the telephone.

She had talked about sensitive issues relating to astronomy and UFOS which seemed to anger Mr Moore? He had a reputation....a good one and was not having this degrading issue in publications. Jenny Randles is a 'Right Hand' UFO researcher and Ia m 'Left Wing'

We talk about lower, middle and upper classes in the life of the cosmos as thos e who have gained audiences in their field are not going to be happy with 'fleas on their back'

As for me...I have no reputation so I upset the whole bloody lot of them...lol

That is my feeling

Glad I don't live in your world. It sounds pretty miserable being afraid of everything everywhere all the time.

Ever talked to a psychologist? My guess is no being they more than likely wouldn't have let you out into public after the first 5 minutes of talking with you.

You clearly have psychological issues that may be serious enough you need to be seeking help for even if you don't believe me or anyone else.

If 1 - 2 people say you have a problem it's likely them but if every internet forum and real life interaction leave almost every person you meet saying you have a problem it's a pretty good chance it is you and not everyone else and yo need help that no ghost or spirit or talking wall is ever going to give you.

Pretty sure you score way way too high on this to not be taking it seriously at this point.

http://outofthefog.website/personality-disorders-1/2015/12/6/paranoid-personality-disorder-ppd

These people may be worth talking to as well. Find their forum and just be yourself. Odds are someone will be by your house in a short while to pick you up.

http://schizophrenia.com/

If it helps I am a ghost and no one else can see this post but you.

No sign of any 20 year warranty on the Wickes website - and in fact the specs 'claim' 6000 hours life. I notice Philips LED bulbs at Wickes claim 15,000 hours life.

upload_2017-6-21_7-7-14.png

I found one box with a 10 year warranty.

Girlfriend said it was a 12 yr one with a more reputable make?
I plead for my life here for any errors I may have made?
Nevertheless I got a repremand from the store for bringing them back.

Also see my candles.

upload_2017-6-21_7-11-33.png

upload_2017-6-21_7-12-34.png

I told someone here that we still use candles....lol Calls my D lamp old!

upload_2017-6-21_7-14-30.png

Also I did a test on my electrics as requested. The time was 2:00 am

Okay I said 220 volts AC...but that was at peak time. A good 20 volt drop would I suppose....be expected at peak consumption?

Where is he?????

Gone..legged it!

Thought about letting you guys test our house whilst Ia m away, but probably find our alloy spoons missing and a few more spirits than we started with minus the bottle opener!

Nige, in all the places I've worked I dont think the mains has ever been 230, like you say 240 is much more common, no matter what the spec is.

I had serious intermittent machine problems ( way back when) in a Shrewsbury hotel, eventually found out the mains was peaking at over 255 vac , I asked where the substation was , "There it is" receptionist pointed to a building just yards from the back door Many of our machines were 'adapted ' from US 115v 60 Hz . but were't happy on 230vac !

Last edited:
It's not 230V, it's 240V in the UK (and 220V in the rest of Europe).

The 'standard' 230V is for equipment specification only - not for the supply voltage. And it includes suitable tolerances to cover the UK 240V and Europes 220V.
I think that nominal single phase supply voltage in Europe is 230V.

"Up to 10 years" could mean that 1 sample out of 10000 tested lasted 10 years and the rest failed in less than 10 days :).

I think that nominal single phase supply voltage in Europe is 230V.

Depends what you mean by 'nominal' - the voltage is actually still 220V (and 240V here), no supply changes were made when the equipment specification was changed to 230V.

Although the ideal would have been to have a single voltage there were too many political, financial and technical obstacles to reduce UK voltage to European levels or to increase European voltage to UK levels, so a new standard was created to cover both. This was achieved by changing the tolerances of previously existing supply standards. UK voltage to 240VAC + 6% and - 10% and European to 220VAC +10% and -6% (thereby creating a manageable overlap) and we would call these two combined 230VAC, despite the fact that nobody was intentionally generating at 230VAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back