Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope for a Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0sh

All - at the Phoenix, Arizona area Goodwill @ 67th Avenue and Peoria, there was an older-model oscilloscope for sale; today was half off day, so it was only $40.00 (marked @ $79.99). It looked to be something from the 1960s (I didn't get any detailed info on it), probably tube-based, with a smallish (4-5 inch) round CRT. Maybe 5 MHz or less, no leads. 2-channel, I believe. I don't know if it worked or not, but it looked like it was in immaculate condition given its age. I have no other information regarding this, so don't ask. I think it would make a great scope for a beginner, though.

What were the probe jacks BNC or banana plugs? It's frequency was probably in the audio to a few hundred khz range. Regardless of it's specs if it still functions at 40 dollars it's a good deal. Nowdays it's trivial to generate frequency/voltage standards that are good enough for a hobbyist. Shipping alone to me would likely be more than the price of it =)

What were the probe jacks BNC or banana plugs? It's frequency was probably in the audio to a few hundred khz range. Regardless of it's specs if it still functions at 40 dollars it's a good deal. Nowdays it's trivial to generate frequency/voltage standards that are good enough for a hobbyist. Shipping alone to me would likely be more than the price of it =)

I -think- it was BNC, but I seem to recall some banana jacks as well, so it may have been the latter; I didn't take a good look at it - I just noticed it quickly, looked over it with a "hmm" (as I already own a 60 MHz Tek 2213 and a 100 Mhz Fluke Combiscope, I don't need or have room for another scope; it was more a curiosity to me, seeing at how well "preserved" it was). I might swing by that Goodwill again today and snap a pic if it is still there; half-off day is over, though, so it would be back at its marked price of $80.00 if someone hasn't already snagged it.

I'd be curious for a picture just to see a well preserved scope =) Given my rough guesses so far though 80 bucks is probably pushing it for it's value outside of it being an antique.

I took a couple of pictures of this scope - it is still there as of today (3/31):

**broken link removed**

In short, it is a Lectrotech TO-50 vectorscope (otherwise it appears to be single channel?)...

Still going for $79.99...

Given the visual condition if it's functional it's probably worth it's listed price. For a second hand store cutting that in half might possibly make it sell. Even at 40 I'd still think about it.

Given the age and functionality, it is not worth $40 in my opinion.

I would not advise anyone to buy it at that price.

JimB

Given the age and functionality, it is not worth $40 in my opinion.

I would not advise anyone to buy it at that price.

JimB

I suppose it would depend on your needs and wants. I thought this might be a good scope for a beginner, last week; but looking at it again - probably not (at least, not for that price). Given that you can easily get a simple single-channel 1 MHz scope kit for not much more (and it will fit in your pocket) - it probably isn't worth it.

However, if - for some reason - you needed the vectorscope capability, and didn't already have a dual-channel scope with x/y capability, or you wanted it for possible vintage reasons (maybe you're making an o-scope clock or something?), then it might be worth it (if it worked, of course).

However, at $80.00 and being a brand name I don't recognize as being "collectible" (then again, I'm not an o-scope collector - though my wife might disagree with me on that, seeing as I already own two older bench scopes, and a couple of Parallax USB scopes) - I wouldn't buy it at that price (and of course, I didn't).

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back