Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope EXT. INPUT , source Channel#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a test procedure your company is already doing, or something new you are trying to do?

Your questions have been answered several different ways. The sync signal and the waveform signal must be the same frequency or a multiple of that frequency, which should be obvious. If you still can't understand that then, not to be mean, but it's beginning to seem that perhaps you should consider another line of work. :rolleyes:

The sync signal and the waveform signal must be the same frequency or a multiple of that frequency

Yes true, i know that

What is it called when a waveform signal has a sync signal? it's not called superimposed , it's called?

The 115vac 400hz main lines that is "grounded" to go to a AC ratio step down transformer, that outputs 26VAC at 400hz "floating", this goes to a demodulated circuit, then goes to a AC to DC converter, this will hook up to a gyro or syncho motor

The primary side of the Ratio step down transformer is grounded and the secondary is floating the AC waveform

You can't use the secondary side to be the reference because it's floating , why is that? the waveform can't sync to the sync signal , its free running

The primary side of the Ratio step down transformer is grounded and the secondary is floating the AC waveform

You can't use the secondary side to be the reference because it's floating , why is that? the waveform can't sync to the sync signal , its free running
Have you tried syncing with the primary side?

Why does it work when the 115VAC 400hz is ground and not floating? it won't sync when it's floating why?
I have no idea what that sentence even means. It usually is that things are either connected to ground or 115Vac or something in between, but I have yet never heard of 115Vac being ground. Could you elaborate on that?

rough guess, your scope is internally grounded to mains ground, when you then probe a floating signal with just the tip of the probe connected, it takes it's reference from the scope ground. If you float the scope and connect probe ground to one part of signal and tip to other part you get a trace. I have deliberately been very vague, although i would like to answer, i am unsure you should be trying any of this stuff.
Safety first. Ask someone at work to take you through the steps, get them to show you. I am obviously assuming your line manager is competent, and able to take you through the companies procedures for testing

If you want to look at the 400Hz signal on the 'scope then why don't you switch the 'scope sync input to the 'scope channel that has the 400Hz signal?

If you want to look at the 400Hz signal on the 'scope then why don't you switch the 'scope sync input to the 'scope channel that has the 400Hz signal?

DONT BE SILLY!
Then the problem would be solved, and there would be no reason to post anymore!
I went to have a play with our TEK analogue scope,to see what this thread is about, haven't used it since we moved. Plugged in, switched on.............DEAD! AHHHHhhhhh :banghead::banghead::banghead:

My analog 'scope is 50 years old. I made it as a kit and it has vacuum tubes (valves). I added zener diodes to its power supply and made a very linear sweep oscillator for it.

Wow, 95 posts, and I bet Billy Mayonaise still has no clue about what he is doing. :facepalm:

Why does it work when the 115VAC 400hz is "grounded" that has a ground, and not floating? it won't sync when it's floating why? floating means without a ground

I already told you all this on the first page, this is the only way it works, go back and re-read the pages and try to comprehend them before making jokes and degrading me and my questions

I had to plug the 115 vac 400hz on channel#2 and source it to the trigger scope sync input ( does this ring any bells ?)

The 400hz is a external sync signal , has nothing to do with being the same frequency as the waveform i'm measuring , can be floating or or has a ground either way they are both two different things

when circuits I have tested have frequencys from 20hz to 20K hz that have a sync source of 60hz that display Stable not free running. The waveforms don't have to be multiples of the sync frequency

Why can't a sync source of 400hz has waveforms that range from 20hz to 20K? you're saying the waveforms have to be multiples of the sync source frequency in order to display them as STABLE not free running

The 400hz is a external sync signal , has nothing to do with being the same frequency as the waveform i'm measuring , can be floating or or has a ground either way they are both two different things
So you are measuring two signals and caputre them based on a 400hz trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back