Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Organ Pipe" Shotgun Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluethecow

Not exactly an "electronics" question, but I found **broken link removed** a couple weeks ago (I think I found the link to the original article somewhere in this forum but I can't find the thread or the original article), and I am interested in building a few based off of the same idea/principle.
My question is about the tubes. It says the lengths are based on the wavelengths of the sounds to be received, but how important are the diameter, thickness, and material of the tubes? For example, would drinking straws or pvc pipe work, or would I need to use a metal such as the aluminum that was used in the original article?

This should help:
**broken link removed**

The tube has to be stiff and be able to hold a note, use aluminium, steel or even bamboo and if it all fails then make you mum some wind chimes.

A better choice would be a parabolic mic, try using an old satelite dish :)

**broken link removed**

I want to build a robot like the one in your avatar Chibo, and have it drive me to work every day.

I don't think the material matters too much as long as it's rigid. It will probably affect the overtones though and make it sound different depend on the material used. I would say the more rigid, the better. I don't think PVC pipe would work too well because it's too soft. I'd go with metal.

The different length of the tubes is so that 1 doesn't resonate too much, the TV news mics are shotguns so that should give you some idea of the length and diameter required. Plastic straws are OK

What about using 1/4" id x 3/8" od PEX Tubing cut to decreasing lengths in 1" increments starting with 36" and working down to 1". Slide the cluster into a PVC pipe, fasten and seal a microphone on the back side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back