Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One NE556 works, another doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenatti

I have a ST brand NE556N I've used to construct a missing pulse detector (see attached). It works just fine when using the ST IC. I stick something in between the LED emiter and the NPN optical transistor to temporarily break the beam and the output LED comes on for a second or so and turns back off. When I switch to a another brand of 556, I've tried NE556 from Samsung and an LM556CN from National - neither circuit triggers. The output pulse train to the LED works fine, I checked with a Oscilloscope. The second timer can also be manually triggered with a negative pulse (touched to ground) and seems to work just fine. It just won't trigger with the same input.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• mpd.asc
    139.6 KB · Views: 141
Can you post the schematic?

Do you have / need a pull down / up resistor so it isn't just open when the beam is broken?

Here's a .bmp of the circuit.

I think it needs more than a pullup/down resistor. I'd be happy if that was all it was though.

Attachments

• 556.bmp
    66 KB · Views: 153
A sea of white dots on a black background is not my favoutite, but I suggest that you put a pull-up resistor from RST-B to +Vcc, 10k should be OK.

JimB

Your input from the sensor is AC coupled.
You need a pullup on the trigger input and maybe a pull down too. Try 1ooK to 10K.

As for why one brand of 556 works and another doesn't, I suspect any existing internal weak pull-up resistance varies between brands.

I tried the resistive voltage divider and had no luck. Using a transistor (Q2) to ground the input worked, the diode (D3) eliminated a little pulse I was getting without it. The cap that previously fed the input signal to pins 8 and 10 is gone.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Attachments

• 556.bmp
    52.2 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back