Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

omfg i hate Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.
and here is the library. The devices are: BFL244 (Mosfet), Package SOT123 and SD1407 (bipolar transistor), Package SOT123-.

Build a VHF transmitter around them and have fun.

Hans

Last edited:
As a free product Eagle is fantastic. You guys that have access to commercial software should be just grateful. Let's compare like with like. Where can I download a schematic editor, board layout editor and autorouter for free? It has it's quirks but is the best I have found for free.

Mike.

Herbert, you can copy whole pages!! And, I use Autocad and could never imagine doing a PCB with it. Practice with Eagle.

HerbertMunch said:
The interface is infuriating. The lack of the ability to copy more than one thing at a time is just plain stupid.

The eagle spanner tool is diabolical!

You can copy, move, etc any number of things if you include them in a group.

The spanner/wrench is a menu of settings. Why is it diabolical?

pommie said:
Where can I download a schematic editor, board layout editor and autorouter for free? It has it's quirks but is the best I have found for free.

I know what your saying, but that's not strictly true. Anyone with a little knowledge of p2p/newsgroups can obtain anything 'free'.
When i go into industry, i will be forced to buy expensive software packages.At the moment I'm a poor student, who cant afford industry standard software like photoshop, autocad, etc.

Pommie said:
Herbert, you can copy whole pages!! And, I use Autocad and could never imagine doing a PCB with it. Practice with Eagle.

How?

When I try and copy, it says "Select the object to copy" and the group 'feature/hindrance' right click doesnt work.

I didnt say i use autocad to PCB. I was merely wishing that i could find an app that could do all the electronics side of things that eagle does, without leaving a bitter taste;)

Last edited:
3v0 said:
You can copy, move, etc any number of things if you include them in a group.

The spanner/wrench is a menu of settings. Why is it diabolical?

When eagle designers made eagle, they completely ignored the expected standards that apply to windows programs.

They re-invented many wheels, and in doing so, ended up with something that is about as enjoyable to use, as receiving a meter long rectal suppository;) .

HerbertMunch said:
I know what your saying, but that's not strictly true. Anyone with a little knowledge of p2p/newsgroups can obtain anything 'free'.
When i go into industry, i will be forced to buy expensive software packages.At the moment I'm a poor student, who cant afford industry standard software like photoshop, autocad, etc.
Well, I'm a poor retiree and I don't steal software. We can all pirate software and if you are that way inclined then Eagle is not for you.

Maybe that was a little harsh but, you should bear in mind that a lot of hobbyist use what they are legally allowed. I really think that the producers of eagle deserve a medal. Other companies have to have reduced their price because of it.

BTW, what is the cost of comparable software?

Mike.

Instead of spanner menu, why didn’t they just use a right click?
They didn’t do that, because they had already decided that they would mess around with right click for groups.

Also eagle doesn’t save my units setting. This is irritating. I don’t want to work in inches!

Pommie said:
Well, I'm a poor retiree and I don't steal software. We can all pirate software and if you are that way inclined then Eagle is not for you.

I didnt mean to offend you Mike:( .

Software like photoshop would have never become industry standard without the pirates!
The entire user base was built by students ripping it for free, then when they went into business, guess what they did? Thats right, they went out and bought a legit copy of the software that they were now extremely familiar with.

Hobbyists cant afford the ridiculous price tags that software companies put on their products.

Autodesk, used to, maybe still do offer a non commercial student copy of their 3D program Maya, only limited by a "watermark" imposed upon output.
This is the way forward.

Micro$oft used to offer extremely competitive student versions of their software. They no longer do.
Also,

In the current age we live, spy ware is a menace that needs to be dealt with. I find spyware removers to be ineffective, so I like to reinstall my computer a lot, to benefit from every screed of my system resources (also beats defrag anyday).

Micro$oft makes my life a nightmare by all their reactivation malarkey. Every time I reinstall, I have to phone up microsoft and be grilled about my choice to reinstall software that I own a licence for.

In my opinion, big companies are forcing normal folk to take matters into their own hands.

HerbertMunch said:
I didnt mean to offend you Mike:( .

Software like photoshop would have never become industry standard without the pirates!
The entire user base was built by students ripping it for free, then when they went into business, guess what they did? Thats right, they went out and bought a legit copy of the software that they were now extremely familiar with.

Hobbyists cant afford the ridiculous price tags that software companies put on their products.

Autodesk, used to, maybe still do offer a non commercial student copy of their 3D program Maya, only limited by a "watermark" imposed upon output.
This is the way forward.

I am not in the slightest offended. Just wanted to point out that pirated software != free software. Companies that provide free software like Eagle should be supported. Their software may be quirky but if enough people support it then it will loose the quirks. It's a bit like supporting Linux.

Mike.

HerbertMunch said:
Apart from linux is open source!
Point me in the direction of a free schematic editor, board layout and autorouter that is open source.

Mike.

HerbertMunch said:
When eagle designers made eagle, they completely ignored the expected standards that apply to windows programs.

It may be that many of the things you are upset with existed in Eagle since the days of DOS. Unfair to say they ignored what did not exist.

Eagle has not updated the UI to work like windows users expect it to. Existing users would be upset if they did. Ver 5 is moving in the direction of a UI that is more consistent with windows.

Most people who have never used a decent cad program get bent out of shape when they first try. Eagle is no different.

To define a group first click the group icon. Outline the group by dragging the mouse. This only defines the group. Next select the move tool. Move the group by using the right click in ver 4 and move group from the right click menu (after selecting the move tool) in ver 5. Hope this works... if not me or other can walk you through a more detailed explanation.

As I pointed out, version 5 addresses some of your issues. Right click now acts more like you would expect.

Im fully aware of how to move groups. I cannot seem to copy a group though As i said before, After i have grouped some objects, i cannot utilise the copy command. It says "left click to select an object to copy" NO STUPID EAGLE, I WANT TO RIGHT CLICK!!!!!

I havent looked at the latest version yet, is it in this version that you can copy multiple objects?

Thanks.
chris

3v0 said:
Most people who have never used a decent cad program get bent out of shape when they first try. Eagle is no different.

................As I pointed out, version 5 addresses some of your issues. Right click now acts more like you would expect.

I disagree, I would consider autocad to be somewhat quirky, eagle is ultra-quirky. Its not so much getting to grips with eagle, its just the sheer un-usability that i have a problem with.

I cant find version 5! cadsofts website only has 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back