Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Off-the-shelf 500W PSU comes with schematic and bill of materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
We are going to use the Meanwell HRPG-600-48 PSU (48V, 13A, Offline) to power our four 105W Buck LED drivers. (Iout=3A, Vout = 35V, fsw = 200KHz, CCM, non-synchronised)
All the four LED drivers, when considered together, only have 80uF of input capacitance, due to PCB room constraints.
Therefore, as you can imagine, most of the ripple current for the input of these 4 LED drivers is going to get drawn from the output capacitor bank of the HRPG-600-48 PSU.

The thing is, if the HRPG-600-48 PSU has an output LC filter, then that means that most of the ripple current will be drawn from just the load-side capacitor bank of the HRPG-600-48 (since the filter inductor , if big enough, will prevent the ripple being drawn from the capacitor bank on the converter side of the output filter inductor )
Meanwell will not supply us with a schematic of the HRPG-600-48 , so we cannot find out…..
1…whether or not it has an output inductor.
2…How big this inductor is. (uH)
3….What is the ripple current rating of the capacitor bank at the load side of the output filter inductor
Do you know of any other manufacturer of a similar PSU that will also supply us with the schematic an bill of materials of their PSU?
Another reason why we need the PSU schematic is because when our load is suddenly switched on, the no-load to full-load transient will inevitably make the output LC filter of the HRPG-600-48 ring wildly and the output voltage of the HRPG-600-48 will resonate up to high voltages which could damage our LED drivers.
Therefore, we really do need the schematic so that we can assess this.
So do you know of any other manufacturer of a similar PSU that will also supply us with the schematic an bill of materials of their PSU?

HRPG-600-48 Datasheet (48V, 13A PSU)
**broken link removed**

Can't you open the PSU up (unpowered, obviously) and check what's inside?

What you actually need is to buy the PSU in question and do the appropriate tests to determine if it is ok for your purpose. I doubt you will find anyone who will provide the schematic. If you dont want to make your own PSU then you have to bite the bullet and buy one that you can try out and possibly reverse engineer to find out whats inside if you really need to know.

You can also ask the manufacturer to provide the additional specs that you need, like the overshoot and full load ripple values.

Well, you can either hope they dont change anything, or contact the manufacturer and find some agreement with them. For example that they will let you know when they change the model, or that they will supply you with the same units for x years. It looks like you are planning to produce a fair amount of your product, so you should be able to negotiate something with the manufacturer.
Or just ask them for the specs you need, so that you know when something changes.

Hi,

Sounds like what you really need is an LED driver protection circuit so you can protect the driver regardless what any power supply puts out temporarily.

I was lucky enough to find a schematic for my Mastech 300 watt power supply online, but wouldnt you know it the drawing wasnt perfect. When i went to fix it, i found they had not shown one of the protection diodes on the schematic, and yes that was the only component that blew out. Lucky i found it tucked up under a small board near the front of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back