Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OBD CONNECTOR PINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dleligdon

Dose anyone have the pin identification for a OBD connector. In my "79" Chevy I could short out two pins to reset the engine trouble light' I would think the same is possible with a OBD connector. Either 12 volt from the connector or possibly 5 volt from a USB charger or ground a particular pin??

Thanks for any input, Dave

This is the type of question where giving your location might help. Your car (presumably) may have a data bus that cannot be reset using paper clips and baling wire.

But, you can go to an Autozone store and use their OBD/CAN scanner free to reset it.

John

I believe that would be OBD-1 style.
dlc1.jpg

Max.

I think the blinking lights with the bubble gum and paper clips went out of favor. There is way too many codes to "blink".

generally history codes won;t clear. Disconnecting the ECM fuse will generally clear trouble codes, BUT you CANNOT go across the street and immediately get your car inspected.

There is this magic thing called a "Driving Cycle" that has to be executed. One part of that driving cycle is likely constant cruising speed for a while. It also has to see the warm-up process before the emission bit is valid.

When you reset when pulling the power, the car has to also re-learn it's tweaks. Some codes will reset on their own, f they are say not seen in 3 driving cycles, but they stay in history.

You could buy a bluetooth connector and do it yourself. Not bad for US$5.
**broken link removed**

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back