Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NTC 80-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PAC Mafia

Hi guys,

I have a treadmill board with NTC damaged connected at 220Vac line. I only could see NTC 80-20 so I´m not sure which is the replacement value.

May be I can replace by a fuse as the NTC is the only protection it has on the AC line, but which would be the replacement fuse value if the output is for a motor 180Vdc regulated by PWM (mosfet is IRFP360 and motor protection peak diode is U15A60)

Could the marking be "NTC 8D-20" ?
If so here is one source.
**broken link removed**

Les.

Hi,

Is it connected in series with the line? Sounds like an inrush current limiter.

Yes

Could the marking be "NTC 8D-20" ?
If so here is one source.
**broken link removed**

Les.

I think you are right, it should be this one as the body was damaged I can´t be 100% sure if it was a 0 or a D.

In any case I already replaced it by a 12A fuse. Thanks.

A fuse does not provide the same type of protection. When power is first applied the NTC thermistor has a high resistance so the current is limited. As there is power being dissipated in the thermistor it heats up. As a result of it heating its resistance decreases. at some point an equilibrium is reached when the power dissipated in the thermistor is just enough to maintain the temperature. This works well in limiting the switch on surge when charging large capacitors. It does not provide protection against a fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back