Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-common/natural logarithms on TI-84?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just earned my class an extra credit point on our next quiz :D

Thanks very much!

(I guess I should've been able to find that in my math book, but I was thinking it'd be some fancy calculator trick, not a formula, so sorry for the simple question)

Last edited:
magician13134 said:
You just earned my class an extra credit point on our next quiz :D

If you think a Ti 84 is easy, you should try using a K&E 4081 and earn the extra credit. But, I am not going to show you how this time:)

Attachments

• slide rule.gif
    slide rule.gif
    71 KB · Views: 746
Yup -- still got mine!

jpanhalt said:
Sure: log(base n) of x = log (x)/log (n)

John
You're too soft on people, I would have pointed him to Google the law of logarithms.

Hero999 said:
You're too soft on people, I would have pointed him to Google the law of logarithms.

In retrospect, perhaps I was too soft. At the time, I didn't realize it was a class assignment for an upcoming quiz.

This is certainly not the place to get into a long dialog on the philosoply of education, so I will keep it short. I am retired and for something to do, I volunteered to teach a lab section at a local college.

The students weren't any different or less motivated than I remember my generation being. The big difference seemed to be the ready access to answers they have, which I think creates a lack of self-confidence in their own ability to figure something out based on what they already know. The most rewarding part of the experience for me was not the classroom contact, but the voluntary review sessions I held. Not all of the students came by far, but for those who did come, I asked each one to work out problems on a real blackboard. They seemed to understand so much better afterwards and did quite well on the final examination.

I have no doubt that given the right atmosphere, students today could be guided in how to figure out the formula and would not have to memorize it. No formula you memorize is ever going to stick with you as long as one you can figure out. My generation was advantaged to have slide rules instead of calculators. John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back