Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newby Looking For Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry_g

Hi all I am a hobbyist and I am wanting to set up an electronics work bench.
I already have most of the tools I will need. I just purchased a 30v-10A power supply.
I would like to get an oscilloscope. This is where I am lost. How many Mhz?
Is two channels enough for a hobbyist?
I am in Canada so the choices are a bit more limited. Some of the scopes I am looking at are:

Rigol DS1054Z

Siglent SDS1102CML

Siglent SDS1052DL

Siglent SDS1202X-E

Rigol DS1102Z-E

Rigol DS1202Z-E

I am trying to stay with one of the lower priced ones but sometimes that can be a mistake.
Thanks in advance!!

I do a lot of electrical work on vehicles and freight trucks.
Terry

Last edited:
Bandwidth (measured in MHz) is the biggest factor that affects the cost. There is no point wasting money on bandwidth that you are not going to use.

For just about all hobbyist uses, 10 MHz is fine. Most communications systems, such as CAN and LIN on vehicles, as well as I2C and SPI between ICs can be read without any trouble at all with a 10 MHz oscilloscope.

2 channels is usually enough as it lets you see the timing difference between two signals. If you have more than two signals, even with a two channel oscilloscope you can make several readings to work out the timings.

Like the frequency question, it depends on what you are doing. If you really need to see all the ignition / injection pulses on a V8 engine at the same time, you need 8 channels, and deep pockets.

For the 10 MHz bandwidth, Picoscope offer good value for money.

If you are sure you won't be getting in to anything more than vehicle electronics and may be audio stuff, this one from your list will be fine - Siglent SDS1052DL.

The 'Oldtimers' adage is 'Buy the best you can afford', you just never know when you will need the added capability of better test gear.

So I ordered the Rigol DS1202Z-E oscilloscope. Its overkill for what I need
but things can change

I am not familiar with the Rigol oscilloscope, but I have a Rigol spectrum analyser and I am very pleased with it.

The Rigol scope should serve you well.

JimB

i have 1054z hacked to 100Mhz (1GSP) and MSO5072 (8GSP) full unlocked 800Mhz 4 channel logic analyzer etc...
Dont expect 200Mhz from 1GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back