Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrill6

I bought some lights that go into the door of your car and it will display a logo on the ground when you open the door. I have the shop manual for the car and I want to tap in to the "door open" signal from door latch to the BCM. From the schematic it appears that this is a pull up resistor type signal. There is a relay in the door latch which closes the circuit to ground when the door is open.

I'm thinking the simplest way to wire the light is to tap into an available positive battery circuit with the ground of the light attached to the signal circuit. When the door is open the relay will ground the signal line and the light will come on because the light circuit now has a ground. My question is can I short out the BCM by doing this? I'm told the light is actually a laser and draws only a few milliamps and can be powered using a simple 9v battery for testing purposes. I can post a schematic to show the circuit if this doesn't make any sense.

See BCM is connected to so many other modules like ECM, WMM, etc....
So it is very critical to know first that it wont harm the BCM and if the lights that you have bought is just taking the 9V battery then why dont you use the
external 9V and seperate ckt to make it on/off rather then taking risk with BCM...

I want the light to come on only when the door is open and this circuit is the only one that does that. If I can't wire the light directly into this ground signal, what can I do instead?

But make sure that it is not drawing much current and if it not more than 50-100mA then you can use that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back