Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to programming, trying to accomplish the following

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, well none of them are on that site to start with, and anything past the standard has a minimum order of 100 or more (which I'm not about to do as you can guess).

Geez!! :D

So the SDIP is the small one you were talking about? And that's not a surface mount or anything?

I can get three of those on the order if you guys think it'll work good.

I was also looking at these... IR

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking as well...and they're side view as well which will make them easier to mount in my project.

There are a few with slightly larger view angles, but I think if I put three in a triangle it should cover a 360 degree field....I hope.

I wasn't sure what to get for the RX though...

Last edited:
Well this LED is 80° angle so you would need 4-5 of them to get it to work 360°

If you got the 120° ones then they would do perfectly in a triangle.

Thats even better should work nicely for a triangle.

As for the IR receivers you will probably need also 3 of them

Since your project involves IR communication, I would suggest that you take a look at Nigel's tutorial on the subject.

There is useful information there even if you don't choose to follow his approach.

You can use any protocol to transmit over IR because you are building both the transmitting and receiving device. Nigels website shows the format for IR remote controls for common TVs and things like that.

It would be easier to just use com port signals over the line. Since the PIC has hardware for doing that.

It would be easier to just use com port signals over the line. Since the PIC has hardware for doing that.

As I always say at this point, that's not a good choice, as the pulsewidths that come out of the IR receiver (or radio module) aren't the same as you initially supplied to the transmitter. This is why coding schemes (such as Manchester or SIRC's) are used for remote controls.

If you're on a budget and want to try a few larger PICs, you may consider Microchip's free sample service.

Microchip - Samples Web Site

For me the shipping has been much faster than their estimates. For the hobbyist - if they so wish - this service could equate to a lifetime supply of free PICs. Also, if you do buy stuff from Microchip and are affiliated with a University, then specify that in your account info. I did this and was automatically given a huge discount (the items can still be sent to your home address).

As for ICSP,
Understanding ICSP for PIC Microcontrollers - Instructables - DIY, How To, tech,

I thought this instructable was clear. Since you have the 28pin starter board, I imagine you can just put jumper wires from the black female socket to your breadboard. I haven't done ICSP, but I suppose it has its obvious appeal for debugging.

Edit: I was respondng to posts made two pages ago. Sorry.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was hiking for a few days....

As I always say at this point, that's not a good choice, as the pulsewidths that come out of the IR receiver (or radio module) aren't the same as you initially supplied to the transmitter. This is why coding schemes (such as Manchester or SIRC's) are used for remote controls.

Could you please explain this a bit...I mean in layman's terms? Is this something I should be aware of?

astronomerroyal, I was looking at that before....and you're right I did skip over it because of the delivery time.

I don't mind ordering stuff...as long as whet I am ordering is the right thing.

Hmmm, still not sure what that means exactly or what it effect it has on this project....:S

Someone Electro, is that MSN offer still available? In the morning I'm going to post a list of things (chips, LED's, etc) I'm going to order on Monday. I would very much like to get moving forward with this stuff.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding some of the books recommended to me in this thread, so I'm going to look online as well as seeing if the local book store can order me a copy.

Hmmm, still not sure what that means exactly or what it effect it has on this project....:S

You should take the time to read up on it, since it's important to your project if you intend to try using serial comms over the IR link. Nigel knows his stuff. I've not yet tried communicating over IR or RF, but I've read his explanations of it enough to trust him.

As I understand it, RS-232 comms (serial communications) needs tight timing, controlled by a clock signal, to work right. Going over an IR or RF link, there is no common clock signal and this messes up the timing. Therefore, other encoding schemes are used instead.

I'd recommend searching the forum for "Manchester" and google "manchester encoding" for more information.

Torben

Once i did use UART signals over cheap RF modules and it worked no problem as long as the baud rate was kept low enough. The modules ware rated for 2400bps only anyway. UART worked at that speed but about every 50th character was corrupt but using a lower speed it worked no problem. But i cant be positive if it works like that for IR too since i havent tryed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back