Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to micro-controllers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOOOOK everybody!!

I need some answers!!! somebody help me please!
I shall list them here yeah.

(1)
XC800_Family-plain_lowres.jpg
they look like this right?

(2) how do I program them ! which hole do I do what which so many legs!

(3) will I then need other circuit components to realize the code that was programmed on the chip?

(4) now I don't got no specificity bought micro controller , however I have some from scrap microcontrollers stuff like from microwaves, phones and so on stuff like that. Can I just take one of the chips out and program them?

(5) where do I start to learn about micro controllers ; want to know everything about them

(1) they look like this right?
Yes, some do. They also come in other shapes and sizes.

(2) how do I program them ! which hole do I do what which so many legs!
First you have to write and compile the program, usually done on a PC. Then "burn" it into the microprocessor/microcontroller chip using a suitable programmer.
To find out what each of the pins does, read the datasheet for the chip. Beware the datasheets can be very big and daunting when you are starting out with microcontrollers.

(3) will I then need other circuit components to realize the code that was programmed on the chip?
Depending on the chip you may need a crystal for the clock, some chips have a clock build in to them.

(4) now I don't got no specificity bought micro controller , however I have some from scrap microcontrollers stuff like from microwaves, phones and so on stuff like that. Can I just take one of the chips out and program them?
Probably not. The micros in phones etc are usually "one time programmable", and the program put in by the phone manufacturer cannot be erased or overwritten

(5) where do I start to learn about micro controllers ; want to know everything about them
Have a look at the links in the signature lines of Nigel Goodwin and Ian Rogers here on ETO, there are links to good tutorials on using the PIC series of micro controllers.

JimB

Thank you JimB :D it was mostly the second question that puzzled me

I've got other micro controllers that were used to display numbers number, but if I do ever find one that can be reprogrammed I can use it for anything I like right?

but if I do ever find one that can be reprogrammed I can use it for anything I like right?
Yes, within the limitations of the micro. As for finding one, why not just buy one or two, they are not expensive.

JimB

What part of the world?
What is your budget?
What sounds fun to do with a micro computer?
-robot?
-watch?
-calculator?
-blink LEDs
-audio or video (more money)

Yes , you have a lot to learn and can spend hours and lots of money on books and equipment.

Would suggest you be bold and take the plunge and splash just a few £ or $ and buy one of these Arduino Uno clones off ebay, either from China or locally.
They cost so little and are complete ready to run, nothing more to buy to get you going.

All the programming software is free, there is a massive Arduino site/home page and forum, with free beginners tutorials all over the place.

**broken link removed**

Crazy thought.
1234 has a PC. (don't know your age so I hope I am not insulting you)
https://scratch.mit.edu/
Here is programming in a simple language for the PC. I was watching a child, 3 feet tall, make a video game, using the computer in a cell phone. You can use this on the PC for free. There are many example programs to download.

This is a example of "programming a micro controller" (almost) but with out cost and using what you already have.

There are other programming software that is free. Can't remember the names. turtle?

Crazy thought.
1234 has a PC. (don't know your age so I hope I am not insulting you)
https://scratch.mit.edu/
Here is programming in a simple language for the PC. I was watching a child, 3 feet tall, make a video game, using the computer in a cell phone. You can use this on the PC for free. There are many example programs to download.

This is a example of "programming a micro controller" (almost) but with out cost and using what you already have.

There are other programming software that is free. Can't remember the names. turtle?

I have seen scratch before looks very cool(cat cute), already had basic experience with computer programming.
Knows that you need to use code to make strings of instructions and compile and burn into your microchip[ but I don't know the physical process of connecting the micro chip to/onto "something" that can make the connection
[ do you like need a thing( and does that thing work with all microchips of the same size/ or only same specifications ) to put your microchip on and then connect that through USB port to the pc?]

The actual physical connection(s) between a programming device (your PC, for example) and the uC device (of your choosing or need) that you intend to program is, generally, a simple multiwire cable.

These days, at their most basic level, these connections use a USB port on the PC and a corresponding port on the uC device.

At the uC end of things, however, there (usually) has to be some intervening hardware (circuits and components) to allow successful communication. This is necessary to convert the data stream coming from the PC (and back to it) into a data stream that the uC will recognize (and generate). This is called "serial communication": data, bit by bit, is transmitted back and forth between the two devices.

It is a very complex process. This is why most programmable uCs (at least for the programming process) are part of a more extensive circuit that has the necessary design and hardware to accommodate this communication.

Oshonsoft BASIC simulator might be a reasonable approach...it still let's you see the registers change and interface with the hardware. C and especially ASM can be a bit much for a first dive.
Vladimir just managed to sell me all his s'ware...for all his versions & modules. I started with it so I support him even though I don't use it much now. Sort of grew into Proteus and ASM.

all right i will try out arduino. Since microchips come in many different brands and names what is the major difference between them?

Like what is the difference between arduino micros chips and PIC and other microschips( is it that they use different programming langues,how much power they can handle?)

Like what is the difference between arduino micros chips and PIC and other microschips( is it that they use different programming langues,how much power they can handle?
Microchips are mainly processors.. They all contain a number of modules ie..

EEPROM ( Non volatile RAM )
UART ( serial communication RS232 / RS485 )
MSSP ( serial communication SPI / I2C )
ADC / DAC
CCP ( Capture compare / PWM )
USB

Any many more.... Each chip manufacturer will include several modules, hence the differing varieties..
ATMEL have a wide range of chips as do MICROCHIP, there are many manufacturers making the old INTEL micro's
Alot of people are moving to the newer faster 32bit micro's .. ARM cores are available in several manufacturers 32bit chips..

Your job as a designer is to select the one for you... What you need it to do...

Like what is the difference between arduino micros chips and PIC and other microschips

Arduino ISN'T a microchip, it's a development system based on an Atmel chip - the point in suggesting it is that it's VERY cheap (for the Chinese clones), and it hides most of the programming and electronics from you, making it easier to learn for a complete beginner. Assuming this then 'sparks your interest' you can then go on to less basic systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back