Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Pi project anyone interestead in joint project

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I been thinking about this Raspberry pi, and some possible future projects. Now this is mainly out loud thinking at the moment and not something I would be able to jump into for a month or so. But I could start planning an deigning now ,I wondered if anyone else would be interested in taking part.

Ages ago I built a curve tracer/component analyzer, it worked ok and used an old scope and a metal case. it was big and bulky but was ok.
I dont remember all the features now and the old scope I used has died.

Now the Pi has got me thinking, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities on a budget. For a start alot of the electronic Like DAC etc could be built with other chip and micros, and the pi plugged in when the equipment was needed, as the pi operates from sd cards then a seperate card could be used for the project. So when you want the analyzer/LA or whatever you just put the right sd card in the pi and usb stick (for data storage etc), then plug the pi in.

When not in use you simply unplug the PI and use for something else.
What I am thinking is the following............

The pi can use Matlab/simulink to do complex graphing, this could be output via the pi to a flat screen monitor or if you want to be posh and small use a PI touch screen (I prefer a monitor). The pi would also bring ethernet and therefore easy connection to a network or network printer.

I would prefer to build a 0.1% R 2R resistor DAC switched with say a pic and shift registers and have the pics or whatever pass back the data to the PI via SPI.
Keep in mind this is all thinking out loud and if someone else is interested in doing one then I am open to suggestions.

A decent fast 14 BIT ADC could make for a good Volt/Ammeter with the ability to store and display data over a long period of time.
I am not saying add al features just thinking of what could be done. I was even thinking maybe a logic analyzer a bit like the salea or whatever its called, I have a couple of boat anchor HP logic analyzers that I love, but sometimes a 16 channel one would be handy.

My old component tester was able to do transistor graphs like you see in data sheets, these were displayed on the scope screen, but with a PI they could be save and printed out. The possiabilites are endless. I would use the PI mainly for handling the graphics and printing and graphing. That way you just plug a header cable into it and sd card and away it goes, leaving the pi to do other things when needed.

I will come back with more ideas, but anyone interested or has suggestion let me know, I know you can buy DACS cheap enough but I like making R 2R ones :D..

Anyway open to ideas and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back