Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[needing guidance] high power flyback transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
well still with my "ultimate" fan controler, i saw that using pwm to control capasitive loads is a big no, so desided to use a buck converter, but as p channel mosfets arround here aren't big enough, i decided to use a n channel one and instead use a flyback converter, and btw add overvolting capability.

the thing is i need something to take 12V and output from 0 up to 40V, with reatively high eficcience.
say about 16A @ 12V.....about 200W, i need to make 3 of these, so they have to be rather small, and the power limit is in general between the three.
The voltage contro in done by a micro that i already programed and all, so the only thing left for me is this.
But i couldn't find much about good practices and formulas to make a smps of more than 1-2A.

i made a few tests with the transformer from an atx psu, originaly it worked at 50khz but in some tests i had no problems switching at 500khz and the efficiency went a little bit higher. but even with little load efficiency was horrible....and the mosfet got warm with less than 500mA, (i did everything i knew right yet the secundary doesn't seem to discharge properly, so the mosfet's diode takes the rest...).
also made my own toroid.....u.u

i'm missing a lot of knowledge here so info, what should i look at, where, or a better alternative, whatever that could help me would be really apreciated as this is the only thing holding this proyect.

also the pwm control i made works like s*** (triangle > opamp > 555, with another opamp controling the one that generates the output), and the coil starts making noise even though the voltage stays stable.

don't know where else to look, thanks in advance u_u

Last edited:
I would look at IT.com, Onsemi or any where where PWM ICs are sold. There are good application notes. Coilcraft.com has some application notes on transformers. I know you are not using a PWN IC but the information is the same.

You do know that to get 40V at 2A you will need 12V at 8A. Do you need to go to 0V out? If 12V is the minimum that allows you to use 'boost'.

I would look at IT.com, Onsemi or any where where PWM ICs are sold. There are good application notes. Coilcraft.com has some application notes on transformers. I know you are not using a PWN IC but the information is the same.

You do know that to get 40V at 2A you will need 12V at 8A. Do you need to go to 0V out? If 12V is the minimum that allows you to use 'boost'.

about the 0V, no one is gonna use 0V but the idea is to lower the voltage to lower the fan's speed. from 12.00000001V and up is overvolting, that's the plus. i thought of doing a boost and then three buck, but i think it's simpler and cheaper to make 3 flyback. i mean sync boost and three sync boost cant be easier than 3 sync flyback alone, add the fact that i can't find a 16A+ p channel mosfet.

and what do u mean with 2A@40V with 8A@12V? 12V*8A=96W->/40V=2,4A, so 16Ax12V=192W->/40V=4,8A, don't get why u ask, if it's bcause of the current then don't worry, a good atx psu can give a lot of amperage, i've seen some with more than 70A, enough to start an engine. and the conectors, ill use the ones that are used in high end video cards, that eat about 200W

Watts in must be slightly greater than watts out. Several times recently someone wants to build a 12V @1A in, 40Vout @ 1A out and things don't work that way.

A simple boost; vout >= vin.
If Vout must be smaller than vin then use a flyback or SEPIC. **broken link removed**

oh yes, i know, but 16A and 4,8A are the output, that's why i said 16A+ pmos, i know you have to take into account the loses.
and i was just looking into that sepic converter at coilcraft. looks like a good solution. i'll see it in more detail tomorrow, 0:50AM here, so i'm going to bed, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back