Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need to build a UPS for computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diver, thanks for clarifying, that makes much more sense now.

maybe as part of the circuit I could make it so that when the generator is running the inverter gets bypassed and the AC loads are run from the generator as well as the battery charger, time isn't a huge factor and nor is the amount of fuel.

Dear friend

Why do you want to go through the hassle of building a UPS. It is not as easy as building an Inverter. My sincere advice is to purchase a 600VA or (800VA if you have a 17" Monitor) UPS (many are quite cheap) and remove the internal SMF Battery and extend the connections out so that you can use a large size car battery. If you still want to build your own then go get a ups circuit board (change over time should be less than 4ms), a transformer for the kit and connect them together carefully. If you are new to this work get an experienced and qualified person to help you out Regards

I didn't think that electronics guys are so cheap that they pick through garbage.
I have picked up a few things from the curb just before the garbage truck mixes it with garbage and my so found a 27" colour TV that works perfectly (CRT type).

My best win was when my son found a guy who worked for a home electronics store. He was moving. Hundreds of "unrepairable" products with nothing wrong with them (maybe the wrong color?).

If this guy saw how many UPS units we throw out a month, as it is almost as cheap to buy a new one versus getting a new battery. But I have to agree with everyone, just go buy one, you can never make one as cheap.

Audioguru, Oh yes we do. I have all but 1 TV in my house that I paid for, all 27" or bigger at no charge.

Best recent win, a big wide screen Gateway monitor for my middle son (he loves to play games and draw 3D rooms). Replaced 8 caps. Looked like a bad batch from China, 3-4 had swollen tops a couple. Replaced them all since I was in there. Under $10 counting gas.

Was it hi-tech or someone that used to dumpster dive behind an electronics store? Wish I lived by one.

Was it hi-tech or someone that used to dumpster dive behind an electronics store? Wish I lived by one.

A friend of mine lives near a music store, and he collects all the non-repairable items they throw out the back - he gets loads and loads of really great stuff :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I drove 300 miles round trip one day to get a car load he gave me! :D

A friend of mine lives near a music store, and he collects all the non-repairable items they throw out the back - he gets loads and loads of really great stuff :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I drove 300 miles round trip one day to get a car load he gave me! :D

That is funny, but sounds like a good day after driving 5 or 6 hours.

Use parts from one to fix another if you do not have the parts on hand (which I am sure you do).

Wish I had a best buy or circuit city (US stores) close by, heck, Radio Shack would do. Or a friend like yours. We have a crappy retail center with a hair salon, insurance sales guy, etc.

Looks like the electro-tech divers and drivers are more than one here :D.

I picked up a pair of huge Sony speakers on the curb.
The 10" woofers have the smallest magnets I have ever seen even on small speakers. Better quality speakers are used for paging in stores.
The tweeters were cheap tiny paper cone type and of course are burned out.
The crossover network was just a single capacitor.
I might use the nice enclosures with some good drivers one day.

We have completely taken this thread, hope he gave up and went to buy a UPS. Nigel might have to move it to ****-Chat, under "got this for FREE, or the "divers and drivers". :D To keep it going.

To bad the enclosure is the best part of the speakers, that's sad, as Sony seems to charge a lot and the electronics seem to be state of the art with them. I wonder what's in the bose speakers, those things are small and sound pretty good to me (my ears are like Audioguru's old eyes though).

I wonder what's in the bose speakers, those things are small and sound pretty good to me.
The Bose Bashers on the internet say that they are cheap with poor quality and poor performance but cost a lot.
I discovered that the small woofer has no bass and the cheap little satellite speakers have no highs. They use equalization that looks like a smilie, boosted bass and treble. Their EQ'd response is pretty flat from 90Hz (not very low) to 12kHz (not very high) at low levels.
People that have tin ears love them.

The Bose Bashers on the internet say that they are cheap with poor quality and poor performance but cost a lot.
I discovered that the small woofer has no bass and the cheap little satellite speakers have no highs. They use equalization that looks like a smilie, boosted bass and treble. Their EQ'd response is pretty flat from 90Hz (not very low) to 12kHz (not very high) at low levels.
People that have tin ears love them.

You no, as a kid even, I did have my EQ in a smile and sometimes a loose V. No wonder I like them. :D No mids for me I guess.

I like the sound for the size and I did not pay for them, so that makes them OK for me. My family has a history of bad hearing. Bad news is, the 18 year old thinks they sounds good too. And he lives with an Ipod headset in his ears, probably why.

Back in the day we had crown and macintosh stuff. And I had one called Marnce or something like that too (that was a long time ago). But I could not put them in my pocket and they glowed.

I did have my EQ in a smile and sometimes a loose V. No wonder I like them. :D No mids for me I guess.
The cheap little speakers have plenty of mids but no bass and no treble.
The EQ gives them false bass and treble at low levels.

Back in the day we had crown and macintosh stuff. And I had one called Marnce or something like that too (that was a long time ago). But I could not put them in my pocket and they glowed.
Marantz was bought by a Japanese company (Denon) that also bought other good American brands like McIntosh and Boston Acoustics.

I knew I spelled them wrong, but I knew someone that was into good sound would know what the heck I was talking about.

I picked up a pair of huge Sony speakers on the curb.
The 10" woofers have the smallest magnets I have ever seen even on small speakers. Better quality speakers are used for paging in stores.
The tweeters were cheap tiny paper cone type and of course are burned out.
The crossover network was just a single capacitor.
I might use the nice enclosures with some good drivers one day.

Generally Japanese speakers are really pretty rubbish - the best speakers tend to be European, with most of the big names coming from there.

But these speakers in particular will have come from a complete audio system, where the entire price wouldn't buy you a decent pair of speakers - which is why they are cheap and nasty.

I thought speakers are made in China now, just like everything else.

The huge poor quality genuine Sony speakers I found say, "Made in Canada".:eek:
We can make junk too, you know.
Sony isn't going to ship cheap huge heavy speakers halfway around the world.

its cheaper and more efective to buy a proper UPS, if you have an inverter and a battery you basically have an UPS you just need the battery charger that will provide the same power as the inverter, at the end of the day get a proper UPS its less of a headache, if you want a longer battery life just attach it to a bigger battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back