Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help with a single tube amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm working on the tube amplifier project again with a 12ax7a tube and I made this schematic. Does everything look the way it should for a single tube amplifier? (I know I left out the volume pot for the second half of the tube.) Just asking before I have it made into a pcb. Thanks in advance -Ray

Attachments

• 20210201_172728.jpg
    20210201_172728.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 240
A speaker has a low resistance and needs a fairly high current.
But your vacuum tube circuit is 70 years old and can drive a high resistance with a low current but cannot drive a speaker, but it might be able to drive a power amplifier.

Calculating that if the input impedance of a power amplifier is 10k ohms then the 22nF output capacitors of your circuit will reduce sound frequencies lower than 730Hz. No mid-bass and no deep bass.

A speaker has a low resistance and needs a fairly high current.
But your vacuum tube circuit is 70 years old and can drive a high resistance with a low current but cannot drive a speaker, but it might be able to drive a power amplifier.

Calculating that if the input impedance of a power amplifier is 10k ohms then the 22nF output capacitors of your circuit will reduce sound frequencies lower than 730Hz. No mid-bass and no deep bass.
So, could I use a high impedance set of headphones or a high impedance speaker and if so what impedance would be suitable?

Nobody makes high impedance headphones or speakers today.
Because nobody makes vacuum tube amplifiers anymore.

Many years ago, vacuum tube amplifiers used a huge, heavy and expensive output transformer to match the high impedance of vacuum power tubes to low impedance speakers.

Nobody makes high impedance headphones or speakers today.
Because nobody makes vacuum tube amplifiers anymore.

Many years ago, vacuum tube amplifiers used a huge, heavy and expensive output transformer to match the high impedance of vacuum power tubes to low impedance speakers.
Ok, how would I go about figuring out the transformer to use to match a speaker to the output?

Would something like this be better than my circuit? I've noticed on this circuit they feed the audio signal into both grids at the same time; on my circuit I feed the audio signal into one side of the tube and then reamplify it through the other half of the tube. This also doesn't need to be a very powerful amplifier; just around 1/4 watts.

There are hundreds of valve circuits out there - use one of those, rather than randomly connecting a pile of parts and hoping it might somehow work (it won't).

Valve output transformers are freely available still, even RS Components sell them.

You also don't use a 12AX7 to feed a speaker transformer, it's a preamp valve - you need a power valve, such as an EL84. For your specific application I would suggest using a triode/pentode, such as the ECL82 or ECL86.

Something similar to this (rather crude version):

There are hundreds of valve circuits out there - use one of those, rather than randomly connecting a pile of parts and hoping it might somehow work (it won't).

Valve output transformers are freely available still, even RS Components sell them.

You also don't use a 12AX7 to feed a speaker transformer, it's a preamp valve - you need a power valve, such as an EL84. For your specific application I would suggest using a triode/pentode, such as the ECL82 or ECL86.

Something similar to this (rather crude version):

With this circuit, should I build a preamp with the 12ax7 tube or will this be sufficient by itself?

With this circuit, should I build a preamp with the 12ax7 tube or will this be sufficient by itself?

It's already got a preamp - the first half (triode) of the valve.

I would also suggest a somewhat better power supply, with a proper isolated transformer - but back in those ancient days it was fairly common to have live chassis's to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back