Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help understanding a schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Stark

High all. I posted a while ago I needed help coming up with a sequencer for my tail lights. Everyone was very helpful and I got a schematic from one of the kind folks here. Well I ordered some parts, and I have some questions. The schematic calls for CD4027B flip flop switches but on Digikey I was only able to find CD4027BE flip flops. On the schematic they look like (to me at least! LOL!) 7 pin chips. When I got them they are 16 pin chips. So I did some searching on the net to get more info, and found a pinout for them. So if I am correct J is pin 10, CLK is 13, K is 11, Q is 15, Q (with the line over it, sorry can't do that on computer!) is 14, But I did not find PRE or CLR, but I did find SET pin 9 (perhaps is PRE?) and RESET pin 12 (perhaps CLR?).
The timer I got is an NE555P not just NE555, but sure that is the same.
I am wondering am I correct with the pins on the flip flops? Also what do I do with the unused pins, just leave them alone? Would I be wise to put sockets on my board rather than solder the chips? I see "K" is shown to "B3" B3 would be my 3rd tail light bulb, is K connected to the bulb like Q on the last flip flop? The "PRE" on the flip flops, are those connected to ground? I assume the vcc on the 555 chip gets my +12v supply. And what is that round circle (as opposed to square circles I guess!) on the lower left hand corner? Is that simply what ever switch I use to turn these on? and lastly if you have any advice for someone like me I would appreciate it. I have built electronics before, like the Megasquirt that runs the fuel injection and ignition on my Corvair but that was pretty easy as it came with a PCB and was all pretty straight forward. I have talent and ability, just lacking in the education to do this all on my own. so any help is appreciated!
TIA
Tom Stark
sequencer.png

A CD4027BE (CD4027B-anything) is the right part. You have the pinout correct (including the Set and Reset). Pin 8 is ground (Vss) and pin 16 is the positive supply pin (Vdd). Since you are using only half the IC, connect pins 3,4,6 and 7 to ground. Leave pins 1 and 2 floating.
This is a CMOS part, so anti-static precautions should be taken.

A CD4027BE (CD4027B-anything) is the right part. You have the pinout correct (including the Set and Reset). Pin 8 is ground (Vss) and pin 16 is the positive supply pin (Vdd). Since you are using only half the IC, connect pins 3,4,6 and 7 to ground. Leave pins 1 and 2 floating.
This is a CMOS part, so anti-static precautions should be taken.
Thank you very much! Do you have any idea what that is in the lower left of the schematic? I am thinking it is just what ever I use to switch power on or off, and do the "PRE" go to ground?
Thanks again!
Tom

V-turn is a simulated pulsed voltage source, used for resetting the '555 IC. Normally, C2 would be connected instead via a resistor (say 10k, not critical) to Vdd to provide power-on reset.
Yes, the PRE pins go to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back