Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need PIC16F84A Cool Project

On who do your most project ideas depend on?

• Self

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friend

• Teacher - School

• Online Search (Somebody else's idea revisited)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the circuit is "more" stable: b4, the LEDs of the PIC's board, connected to Port B, were lighting up, b4 I switch on the power to the PIC itself! I would have turned on the power supply, but not the board, but the LED's were ON... Weird... Now, that 'weirdness' is gone: improvement is on the go. But still no characters :cry: :!:

Agent 009 said:
Nigel, I am trying another setup...
You are missing resistor on RA4 PIN. This problem brings you sensitivity, eg if you touch it, it may or may not work.

EDIT: Add a pull up resistor from RA4 to VDD (1-20K will work).
RA4 is open collector output!

Agent 009 said:
I still need, next to the LCD to work, to have a keypad (just 3x3) to act as input... I just need 6 bits, right??
Yes, 6 bits for 84, if you had A/D PIC, only one would be enaugh.

Jay.slovak said:
Agent 009 said:
You are missing resistor on RA4 PIN. This problem brings you sensitivity, eg if you touch it, it may or may not work.

Ok, but it's connected to Enable line of LCD... Do I really need a resistor?
(I'm adding it anyway...)

Agent 009 said:
Jay.slovak said:
Agent 009 said:

Ok, but it's connected to Enable line of LCD... Do I really need a resistor?
(I'm adding it anyway...)
It is very Important <-notice it's typed in Bold. Open collector output is useless without it as a standard PIN. 8)

I think on the PIC board I'm using there r 10k resistors for portA pins... I don't think another would do much difference...

Agent 009 said:
I think on the PIC board I'm using there r 10k resistors for portA pins... I don't think another would do much difference...
If there are, that's fine. I just don't see them in the scheme you posted... Also keep that in mind for the future, if you design different board without them.

Agent 009 said:
Another weird behavior: the first row seems to light up b4 the second: it fills out more rapidly!
this is an interesting sentance... it tells me that the initialisation is done correctly. Can you check if you didn't swap the RS and RW wires (in HW and in SW also), that might be a prob.

Agent 009 said:
Just Checking... 10x anyway Jay! That's real-time-interactive help!

That's y we need a new moderator :wink: 8) ...
lol like to hear that...

Try to post us the photo of your "device" (If you have a camera), one picture has weight of a thousand words...

Jay.slovak said:
Agent 009 said:

lol like to hear that...

Try to post us the photo of your "device" (If you have a camera), one picture has weight of a thousand words...
2morrow... It's midnight now and I wanna sleep... 10x really Jay, I c ya 2morrow...

Agent 009 said:
Jay.slovak said:
Agent 009 said:

lol like to hear that...

2morrow... It's midnight now and I wanna sleep... 10x really Jay, I c ya 2morrow...
OK have a nice dreams :lol:

10x :lol: ...
I'm awake now :wink: ... I am going to change the way I deal with the PIC: I'm gonna use the PICBASIC, or MicroCode...

Agent 009 said:
10x :lol: ...
I'm awake now :wink: ... I am going to change the way I deal with the PIC: I'm gonna use the PICBASIC, or MicroCode...
Nooooo don't do that, you will never fully understand Asembly!

Euh... My teacher adviced me 2 use it, bc it's easier to get the LCD to work... Anyway, I'm not bad in programming, and I learn fast... So assembly is not much of a prob: I have taken already 2 courses, using assembly (Computer Architecture and Microprocessor Design) and have had exellent performance 8) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back