Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[need info]about serial ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

v0xyzzz

i need a technical data about the serial ports at the PC.. especially about the maximum current ratings.. anyone can help me? if you have a complete technical data, could you please tell me?

thanks.

The question is a little vague. The first thing to consider is that the traditional DB-9 or the older but still present DB-25 connectors have contacts in them which can sustain up to 1 Amp. I don't think that is what you are asking however.

There are no pins in a serial port connector that are intended for delivering power. There is a signal ground. Each of the other pins is an RS-232 signal. Those signals may be capable of 10-20 ma. Each serial connector will be different and there are no standards that I am aware of that deal with current sourcing.

The inputs have a reasonable impedance, of 3K to 7K, and should not require significant current to drive.

Google "Serial Port", "RS 232" and "Serial Port Cables" or "RS 232 Cables" you will get a wealth of sites offering good (and probably bad) information. I've done that in the past but don't have any specific sites handy now.

The info will not necessarily apply to your particular computer since each manufacturer may implement the Serial Port somewhat differently when it comes to rated current.

Jess, w4pqk

Try googling:

Serial Port Specifications
Serial Port Current limits
RS232 currents
RS232 specifications

Try this link to the RS232 standard
https://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com_Basics/RS232_standard.html

RS232 serial port informationThe RS232 serial port. Interfacing, programming and cable information. ... On these pages: RS232 specifications · Serial UART info · I/O ports and IRQ's ...
www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232.html - Similar pages

RS232 Specifications - 400 Series InstrumentsRS232 Specifications - 400 Series Instruments The following factory defaults are true of all X-Rite 400 series densitometers. Word structure / rate ...
www.xrite.com/support_doc.aspx?SupportID=60&Type=d&Industry=1 - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

KY-04 RS232 specificationsInnovative design's ky-series, electronic locks for all sorts of purposes.
www.idd.nl/key/ky-04/rs232.html - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Good luck, Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back