Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help finding a switch for a ShopVac

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEdgar

Hi,

I have a ShopVac (about 10 years old) that appears to have a broken switch. It started to have trouble starting up, and I'd have to rock the switch a bunch before it caught and turned on. Eventually, no amount of rocking would get the machine to turn on again.

Seems like a $10 fix if I can get the right replacement switch - but I can't for the life of me figure out where to get a switch like this. I’m hoping someone here may be able to steer me in the right direction. It’s a simple on/off rocker switch, but there is no part number. It’s got 4 prongs, 2 gold colored and 2 silver colored. They connect to a white wire, a black wire, and two reds. I can find similar switches at the auto parts store, but they don't seem to be rated for the amperage I need. The part doesn’t have to fit well – I can solder the connections if need be and cobble together a way to get the switch to fit. I just want a switch that can handle the amperage and routes the power correctly.

Anyone have any ideas what I should be searching for?

The attached image has some info on the switch, along with a cruddy drawing of the switch:

Thanks for any thoughts on what I should be looking for!

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 5,454
First; the obvious. Did you check with Shop Vac?
https://www.shopvac.com/

Second; the switch was made by Molveno, a subsidiary of the Necto Group in Italy. It's from the GP series of rocker switches and appears to be double pole single throw (DPST). Probably GP1AF2H23…. The rest of the specification after that is about cosmetics; colors, splash covers and such.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/07/GP.pdf

Third; the switch is fairly generic both in dimensions and function and replacements should be readily available at any electrical or electronic supplier although this size usually gets a lower amperage rating and has fewer contacts. Just take the bad one in to match it.

Fourth; NKK JWS series is compatible. They're both 10A switches despite the labeling on the Molveno switch body.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/07/jws.pdf

Fifth; you can always match by specification at Mouser or Digikey.
https://www.mouser.com/
https://www.digikey.com/

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply. I did check with ShopVac, and they don't sell the switches - they want me to buy a new motor at the minimum : )

Your help was terrific! The 15A @ 125Vac really threw me off. I was able to find plenty of switches with lower amp ratings, but couldn't find that style at 15A anywhere. Your comment that they are really 10A switches was helpful. Those I can find alot of.

I wasn't able to find any of the NKK JWS or Molveno switches at 10A (all at 6A), but did find something on Mouser from Cherry that looks like it'll work (10A 125Vac). It's now been ordered and is on its way.

Thanks again - if it works, you've saved me over $100!

Woo hoo! Switch arrived today, I popped it in, and the ShopVac is back in action! I really like this ShopVac b/c it's one of their quiet models, and I really didn't want to replace it.

Thanks again!

Hey BigEdgar, I know it's been quite some time since you posted & repaired your shop vac rocker switch but I'm having the same problem trying to locate a replacement switch for my Shop Vac QAM70. I see you ordered the 10A 125Vac switch, is that still working fine for you? And did it pop right back in as the original part switch? Did it have the 2 gold & 2 silver prongs or does that even matter? Hey thanks for posting this as it will help me out a lot... And thanks to KJ6EAD for his electrical savvy in helping us all out!!

One more note BEdgar, I noticed the data sheet for the switch you ordered from mouser elec. was only rated at 1/4 hp when the shop vac is a 3 hp 7.0 amp unit.
Won't that be a concern?

Peak HP is just like peak audio Watts it's a sales gimmick.

PS: 1 HP = 746 W. Multiply by 3 and you get 2300W. You 120 VAC receptacle can deliver 15-20 Amps. Yea - something is fishy.

I replaced a switch and let out the magic smoke after running for a while. My brushes have probably had it. Dunno if it's repairable yet.

Hi,

I have a ShopVac (about 10 years old) that appears to have a broken switch. It started to have trouble starting up, and I'd have to rock the switch a bunch before it caught and turned on. Eventually, no amount of rocking would get the machine to turn on again.

Seems like a $10 fix if I can get the right replacement switch - but I can't for the life of me figure out where to get a switch like this. I’m hoping someone here may be able to steer me in the right direction. It’s a simple on/off rocker switch, but there is no part number. It’s got 4 prongs, 2 gold colored and 2 silver colored. They connect to a white wire, a black wire, and two reds. I can find similar switches at the auto parts store, but they don't seem to be rated for the amperage I need. The part doesn’t have to fit well – I can solder the connections if need be and cobble together a way to get the switch to fit. I just want a switch that can handle the amperage and routes the power correctly.

Anyone have any ideas what I should be searching for?

The attached image has some info on the switch, along with a cruddy drawing of the switch:

Thanks for any thoughts on what I should be looking for!

I just had the same issue with my Shop Vac MOdel #6060.

The DPST rocker switch I found was rated for 16 amps 125Volts. I found this at MRO Electronics. (**broken link removed**)

The DPST rocker switch cost $7.52 and fit perfectly for my shop vac.

It is disappointing Shop vac does not carry a simple part like this and tries to force people to buy a new motor. No wonder our landfills are filling up so fast.

The issue I had with my Shop Vac was getting a new fan. I found one far from my hometown that appears to be thinner than what I'm replacing.
I'll see what effect it has on suction. My Vac lacks a filter screen to prevent debris from damaging the fan.

I have a model 500 which is basically a "tip and tell". It must have been someone's first design, The center of gravity is way off, no handle and the input hose goes in at a right angle. So, I though the switch died and I had to move it to make it work. I couldn't get to the brushes. They happened to be toast too. The magic smoke didn't come out until the switch was replaced.

Shop-vac made a nice replacement of the entire head with a handle. I made a lid lock-down many years ago, so the handle works.

The vac is basically small, so I'll keep it rather than buy another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back