Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building or repairing a boost converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethompsonv861

k4zlVWW.png
I want to build this circuit to power a 30w LED and one to power a 100w LED both COB LEDs need 30vdc to operate. I'm an idiot but with help I can do this. If someone could help me with any of this I'd be thankful maybe have a video or something step by step cause I don't really understand the diagram or how to place the parts need a little help anybody?! Thanks. Or does anybody know how to fix these type boost converters
N9qafTW.png
When that don't boost anymore thought it had to be something simple if someone knows please let me know!!!! PLEASE.

Last edited:
Your two pictures are very much not related to each other.
The top picture will never power a 30W or 100W LED.

That circuit will not drive a 30W or 100 W LED The maximum voltage rating of the NE555 is 16 volts so even running it from 15 vollts is very close to the limit. The 27 volt maximum is probably the most you would get even with a light load on the output. The dc current collector current rating of the transistors is only 100 mA so you would only expect to get about half that as an output as you are doubling the voltage. A 30 W LED at 30 volts would require 1 amp. A 100 W led would require 3.3 amps. To drive LEDs you need a constant current circuit rather than a constant voltage circuit. You can avoid a true constsnt current generator by using a higher voltage supply and a current limiting resistor but this wastes power. You would probably find it cheaper to buy an LED driver on ebay than building one. One that would work would be nothing like the above circuit.

Edit.
I have now just seen the picture of the boost converter that you have added. That is something that would have a chance of working with a current limiting resistor on its output. You will need to givve its FULL specication and if possible a schematic before we could say if it can be used.
Les.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys I just thought it might because I built this circuit;
JbSG2Ar.png
and it reached enough stored energy to flash the 100w LED so I felt if I could increase on/ off frequency it might work so I have been going around looking for ways to get it done because the stupid boost converter pictured stopped working here is the schematic what would go bad on these
l0TZj91.png

cY68hga.jpg
Put this circuit together after researching Google found the Boost converter circuit on YouTube some guy did then following his instructions;sorry don't know his name,combined the Boost circuit with something he called an Esaki Oscillator It generated enough voltage to light a 100w LED that needs 30v's
kzDPSvW.jpg
to operate anyone attempting this should be careful as the voltage being unregulated gets over 200v pretty quick here the LED I guess acts a regulator across the diode but I personally am thinking to add a pot to be safe. If that's the wrong idea please chime in and let me know of some options. It was as Cpt.Kirk said "Fun" luck to all who endeavor to persevere!!!!!! Oh forgot this image verification
bL2mQXj.png
DOBU3lL.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back