Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a simple motor rotation indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys live in your attic??
My attic is ventilated with many grilles and it is insulated with plenty of fiberglass. So I don't need a fan there. I do not go there.

Hi,

Cowboybob:
I know what you mean about overkill, but i dont blame you if there is life on the line, even if it is just the life of a pet.
For example in an aquarium, it may not be enough to measure something that is involved in the process of heating or cooling the water (like electrical current) rather than the temperature of the water itself which is a direct measurement of the life sustaining quantity.
I also think that some fans will not change current as much when the air flow becomes blocked, so a current measurement may not be as good, depend on the fan and setup of course. If the fan has automatic louvers they may get stuck shut for example.
So in some cases it makes sense to do a direct measurement of the quantity that is supposed to be controlled. In the case of water movement i would not feel comfortable with the setup unless it monitored water movement itself, perhaps in more than one place.

Mike:
Yes that's not a bad idea really. I used to use one of those myself but i got tired of changing the batteries because it was a sort of cheapie, so i decided to build one with a uC that uses very average little current. I still use it today and the batteries last about 2 years.

Audioguru:
Cooling the attic helps to cool the whole house in many cases.

Cooling the attic helps to cool the whole house in many cases.
Some stupid people run their furnace and their air conditioning at the same time when their windows are open. Some old homes have no insulation.
Today the sun is almost directly straight up, the temperature outside is mellow at 72 degrees F and inside my home is also mellow at 72 degrees F. I am on the top floor with the attic about 4' above me and I do not feel any heat radiating down on me.

Any thoughts on a microswitch to use? The ones I have require more force to activate than the wind from the fan would generate.

For this option, if I can find a light touch switch, I suppose I could attach a thin piece of sheet metal directly flat to the switch arm, with a small screw,
to catch the air.

I would just get a lever micro switch like one of these from McMaster Carr Supply. Not knowing your location makes it hard to suggest the part and where to get it. McMaster Carr Supply Lever Micro Switches. I would just get part number 7090K37. The switch has a 2" lever which can easily be extended and add a paddle to it. Any good two part epoxy makes things simple. I have used Devcon epoxy.

Ron

I want the indicator light in the house.

On a side note, I might also like to be able to adjust the fan thermostat 'On' temperature from inside the house, rather than setting a temp on a typical attic fan thermostat in the attic and having to leave it at that.

I want the indicator light in the house.

On a side note, I might also like to be able to adjust the fan thermostat 'On' temperature from inside the house, rather than setting a temp on a typical attic fan thermostat in the attic and having to leave it at that.

Anything is doable. Just a matter of how much time and money you want to place in the project. The thermostat can be placed in the house living area but the thermostat sensor still needs to be in the attic sensing the attic temperature. The indicator light can also be placed wherever you desire and can be wired or wireless as has been mentioned. Again, you get into cost as to how practical the design(s) would be. Much of this also depends on exactly what you currently have? Does the existing fan have a thermostat? How is it configured as to turning the fan On/Off? Can the existing Fstat (Fan Thermostat) easily be moved from the current unit assuming there is a Fstat?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back