Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need 4-40 screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I purchased a bunch of metal 4-40 thread standoffs from allelectronics. They are male on one end and female on the other.

Does anyone have a good source for ordering inexpensive 4-40 screws to use with these.

**broken link removed**

That's a really common thread size, you should be able to pick them up cheap at any local hardware store, should be able to pick up hex nuts if you want too.

IIRC Digi-Key sells 'em by the bagfull.

For Example

**broken link removed**

$1.68 per hundred

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
That's a really common thread size, you should be able to pick them up cheap at any local hardware store, should be able to pick up hex nuts if you want too.

Would not have asked if it was that easy. Maybe I should have explained that I live on the road to everywhere in the middle of nowhere.

Did not find any in the local stores or in the 2 hardware stores I check in nearby towns. When do get to a berg with well stocked stores we run out of time.

There are many things besides small screws that can not be found here. I may end up ordering the from "small parts". Was hoping for a surplus outlet for small hardware that might have other things of interest. The deal about paying a shipping charge just to order a few nuts.

How many do you need?

3v0 said:
Would not have asked if it was that easy. Maybe I should have explained that I live on the road to everywhere in the middle of nowhere.

Did not find any in the local stores or in the 2 hardware stores I check in nearby towns. When do get to a berg with well stocked stores we run out of time.

There are many things besides small screws that can not be found here. I may end up ordering the from "small parts". Was hoping for a surplus outlet for small hardware that might have other things of interest. The deal about paying a shipping charge just to order a few nuts.

Put your email addressee in the my Private Message box so we can work it out.

Rolf

Other good sources that I use - McMaster Carr, MSC Industrial Supply - they sell to retail and if there is a minimum order quantity it's not much. Delivery is fast. McMaster Carr website is pretty good.

I recently purchased 3-48 and 5-40 dies/taps and have hex nuts on order. Sizes seem odd until you realize that 3/32" welding rod is correct for 3-48 and 1/8" rod is right for 5-48. Allows you to fab your own in a pinch.

Also recenty modified 4-40 hex standoffs to 6-32. There was enough material there - and 6-32 was easier to handle in this situation.

Digikey is good, but their shipping costs sometimes make me hesitate. If you can spare the time, look at http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/ . He's got some other neat stuff besides the screws, often really cheap. Shipping $6.50.

But he only accepts orders by snail-mail.

[edit] Be sure to check out his closeout and special deals site. Lots of goodies you haven't seen since the last hamfest. [/edit]

Last edited:
Jameco sells 4-40 (and other size) screws (including thumbscrews) 100+ for .018 cents each. Even cheaper for 1000+ (check other part numbers). That's just slightly higher than DigiKey per 100, but the shipping might be cheaper. Part # 40970.

They also sell "hardware assortment" bags, which seem reasonably priced for those who need to restock Screws, Nuts, Washers, and Lock Washers in sizes 2-56 through 8-32. Part # 171571 for 1lb (approx 500 pcs) or Part # 171635 for 3lb (approx 1400 pcs).

I usually buy my bulk small hardware from Digi-Key.
Some local hardware stores often have expensive 4-40 but in a pinch...

Emory

When you are building a project and need shorter screws or screws of a non-statndard length you can shorten longer screws.

Look for a crimper tool that has holes marked with screw thread sizes, like 4-40 (number 4 screw with 40 threads per inch). On this example they are centered around the pivot.

With mine I need to cleanup about 1 in 4 cut screws to get them to thread into nuts. If the screw you are cutting is long enough you can thread a nut onto it prior to cutting. Running the nut off the screw after it is cut will often clean up the cut enough for it to work.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back