Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Name this component!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a Geiger-Muller Tube.

JimB

JimB gets the cigar again! But there are still a few odds and ends...

Attachments

• IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 186
How about this: I've got one at work, so I can take a real picture of it, but here's the "stock" photo cropped from the data sheet.

Attachments

• bleh.jpg
    bleh.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 171
Okay, some hints: It's a 3 terminal electromechanical device. They're sometimes used in laptops...
(The ruler above is in inches)

Attachments

• quiz3a.jpg
    quiz3a.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 157
I have never seen anything like this before, but based the information given and a bit of googling, I am going to guess that it is a shock sensor.

JimB

Well I've been off list for a bit so have come late to this but I recognised the Relay, 723AB and GM tube right away!
I'll big something out to photograph.

Robert G8RPI.

Okay, one last hint since this thing is pretty darn obscure: "I bought this at Digikey a couple months back because I couldn't believe this part had a 6.5Watt rating".

Incidentally, this part is a close relative of it - same principles, completely different purposes...

Attachments

• quiz4.jpg
    quiz4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 164
I guess all the guesses are in.

The second picture I posted is indeed a piezo speaker. I should've taken a picture of the backside since the piezo material is in an oddball "butterfly" pattern instead of the pretty generic circle. Oh well.

As for the first picture, it's a piezo transformer - approximately 1:60 step-up ratio, Digikey part number P6002-ND. You drive the thing into resonance, the center ceramic bar vibrates (There's actually conductive rubber pads holding the center piece), and then it transforms the flexing back in to voltage.

Here's a pretty explanitory app note by Texas Inst.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/07/slyt107.pdf

and one with a couple pictures of the transformer in it's native environment - LCD backlight inverters
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/07/slyt125.pdf

James

Okay, I only have two more interesting pictures:

Attachments

• quiz2.jpg
    quiz2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 155
  • quiz3b.jpg
    quiz3b.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 178
Status
Not open for further replies.