Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Name my job (Control theory and embedded systems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike.B

Hello everyone !

I am currently an student and I was thinking about my future job and what kind of works I am interested in...
Well, I think it is not an easy to find his path.
So, I focused on my courses and my previous internships...What I like... What I don't like...
It turned out I find something I would like to work on it.

Basically, I really enjoyed my courses about Control Theory (closed-loop, PID, Space-State, observers, controllers...) and simulation with Matlab/Simulink.
Then, I am very interested in embedded systems (microcontroller, FPGA...)
So, it occured to me that it will be great if I could combine both of them : Control Theory and Embedded systems.

For example : I should build a model (with matlab/simulink) for something, then I will design a controller (to get the desired behavior) and I will test everything with a microcontroller (hardware).

My problem is : I don't really know what kind of jobs could match with my description.
Can you name it ? Systems engineer maybe ?
Do you know what kind of fields (robotic, automation, aircraft, transport...) I should apply for a job ?
If you have company name in your mind, feel free to share.

Thanks for your help everyone !

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem is : I don't really know what kind of jobs could match with my description.
The problem is that no two jobs are the same and the duties and responsibilities of an "Engineer Type 1" in Company A are probably completely different from an "Engineer Type 1" in Company B.

The chances are that you will not find an exact match for your ideal job.
If you do find your ideal, it could be that the company just call that job "Electronics Engineer" and there may be other "Electronics Engineers" in the same company who are doing totally different things.

This is maybe not what you want to hear, but the real world is not as tightly defined as you may think it is.
Schools and colleges, yes there may be tight definition of job titles, but in the real world? No, I don't think so.

JimB

I agree with JimB and I'd also add that you don't want to tie yourself down immediately when you're first starting out. Things are different in the real world and just because you didn't enjoy something at university (bad teacher) or perhaps it wasn't even covered in your course it doesn't mean you wont excel in them given the right company.

From my own experience, I graduated in electro-mechanical and thought I would be working on the national grid or with a network consultancy. Now I'm working with (and really enjoying) power electronics for aerospace applications. My HV & network experience from university and previous work is a real benefit as its something other people here don't have and so I can bring a new perspective.

But perhaps to get you thinking of potential jobs I can suggest one in my own company which might suit you, FPGA firmware engineer. My company develops motor drives for aerospace applications and the control of the motors require a large amount of control theory applications, the controllers are all FPGA type and so we need firmware engineers that are good with control theory.
I should point out that almost all aerospace electronic boxes contain FPGAs, so don't just think motor control think generators & flight controllers. And this extends to the automotive industry as well (electric cars ... again think motors & battery management) and even wind turbine companies (again generators / pitch controllers). In a nutshell control theory is everywhere.

A few companies in the UK, although most are international
BAE, UTAS, Hamelton, Safran, Ulta, & many many more

Yes I also thought control of BLDC inverters. including exotic things such as Vector control of BLDC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back