Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My solar poject

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdm_in

I am new here and have a few question , I to use solar to power my heating/cooling and
hot water using a gid tie systerm , I have a few panels ready to put on the roof and most
of the things need to connect the systerm together but i am not sure if my inverter is
the right one for a 240v connection and how many panel will i need?

Thanks
David

I am new here and have a few question , I to use solar to power my heating/cooling and
hot water using a gid tie system , I have a few panels ready to put on the roof and most
of the things need to connect the system together but i am not sure if my inverter is
the right one for a 240v connection and how many panel will i need?

Thanks
David

Hi David and welcome to the forum,

Ok how many panels do you have and what size are they ?

What inverter do you have ?

Do you have any deep cycle batteries at all ?

Now heating and cooling using an RE system will require a decent battery bank for the power required to do the tasks. If you want to grid tie what is the price you will be paid per Kw ?.

I haven't gone too far into detail as the above questions need to answered first....

Regards Bryan

At this time i have only 2 panels that are outputing 23.5 v connected together . They are about 80watts each, inverter is a 3000/6000 watt -12-24 , I am going to buy some
6 volt golf cart batterys maybe 4 or whatever i need. I just got installed the new Carrier
infinty Hybrid systerm that is a 19 seer heat pump and a 95% eere rating gas furnace
if that helps you any .

Thank
David
PS, The KW question are you asking how much i am willing to pay or how much do i pay now from the power co

Last edited:
At this time i have only 2 panels that are outputing 23.5 v connected together . They are about 80watts each, inverter is a 3000/6000 watt -12-24 , I am going to buy some
6 volt golf cart batterys maybe 4 or whatever i need. I just got installed the new Carrier
infinty Hybrid systerm that is a 19 seer heat pump and a 95% eere rating gas furnace
if that helps you any .

Thank
David
PS, The KW question are you asking how much i am willing to pay or how much do i pay now from the power co

With 160W solar you might generate 1 kWh per day and keep 100Ah of battery capacity healthy.

I am assuming you want to know how many paels you need to provide power to your home... when you say 240volts I think you are referring to AC which is grid power ... the power company delivers power to your house using AC which is stepped down just befor it reaches your home. In Canada it is a three wire system a common then two 110volt wires in opposite phase (again AC)... most appliances will use only 110volts so they are connected between the common and one of the 2 other wires... but some larger appliances like furnaces and AirConditioning units are wired across the 220volts (your 240v) but remember this is AC not DC which is what your solar panels will produce... if you are using good quality panels they are going to output either 24 or 48 volts... forget about the voltage as it really isnt important because as you said "its all in the inverter" ... what you need to know is how much energy you consume ... both the amount in KiloWatt-hours and the peak in Kilowatts... now a typical house will use say 2000kWhrs a month but the typical peak usage may vary drastically ... there are many online calculators availble to plan your solar PV installation an excellent one from Canada is called RETScreen ... as far as hooking up a grid tie system you really have to know what you are doing (from your questions I assume you do not) make a small mistake and you might fry an expensive inverster... fry your panels and or your batteries... make a big mistake and you WILL FRY YOURSELF. Take the time to learn what you are doing and seek help from a trained electrician or solar installer company.

Power co.

I had a guy from my power company come out and we talked about my plan
to wire my solar poject to my breaker box , he told me i had to have a Disconnect
on the outside of my house so if there power goes out it could be shut down to work on there lines and i needed a Automatic transfer switch too. I am trying to think of how and
where this will tie inn

I had a guy from my power company come out and we talked about my plan
to wire my solar poject to my breaker box , he told me i had to have a Disconnect
on the outside of my house so if there power goes out it could be shut down to work on there lines and i needed a Automatic transfer switch too. I am trying to think of how and
where this will tie inn

Is this a grid-tie type inverter? If it's not you can't just connect it to the grid unless it's in sync with the power line phase otherwise you will fry your inverter.

Grid tie inverter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi,

Renewable energy is energy which comes from natural resources such as sunlight, wind, rain, tides, and geothermal heat, which are renewable (naturally replenished). In 2008, about 19% of global final energy consumption came from renewables, with 13% coming from traditional biomass, which is mainly used for heating, and 3.2% from hydroelectricity.[1] New renewables (small hydro, modern biomass, wind, solar, geothermal, and biofuels) accounted for another 2.7% and are growing very rapidly.[1] The share of renewables in electricity generation is around 18%, with 15% of global electricity coming from hydroelectricity and 3% from new renewables

Technical Consulting Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back