Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My micro is conversant with the PS/2 protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
As of today my 18F4520 is able to receive from / transmit to an optical mouse as per the PS/2 protocol.

For the moment, the code, writen in Assembler, just transmits, receives (and displays).

My (unorganized) comments:

AFAIK only reference available to check my micro against to, were the CLK + DATA signals from the mouse. To start with something, my sole chance was to catch the actual initialization where the mouse issues a predictable / known code: AA 00.

First I did was to show through an additional pin, how my software detected the mouse's CLK. Once I knew that, I spent a whole afternoon trying to understand what was going wrong until I realized the START pulse from the mouse, was being largely missed by some millions of microseconds.

To overcome that, I decided to power up the mouse well after the snoopying software was up and running and then ensure I had a stable IDLE condition to now yes, try to catch the initialization.

The additional-pin trick, allowed, by creating a narrow pulse inside every DATA-pulse to faithfuly confirm the START was missing from the screen.

Tried two mice up to now. In the WRAP mode, one sends back every single code I transmit. The other, every three or four bytes OK, sends FE and later FC. Standards? What standards?

It took me a while to understand who does what and when. Once I got clear that the clock was providing the pulses for all the reads and writes, drawing the flow diagram was easy.

One stupid mistake had me several hours trying to understand why my display was showing 170 and not AA.

I know I wrote a too long post but I am happy with the start. So, off now for lunch and a glass of good Malbec.

When I run into that sort of problem I often turn to either the MPLAB 8xx simulator or the PICKit2 three channel logic analyzer (very handy, similar to the HP Logic Dart)

When I run into that sort of problem I often turn to either the MPLAB 8xx simulator or the PICKit2 three channel logic analyzer (very handy, similar to the HP Logic Dart)

Sorry Bill, did not see your reply up to now.

Hope to be in that league soon.

PS/2 protocol timing diagram

After rereading my OP I realized that I did not post the timing diagram. Eventually, someone out there could be interested.

As it is, my code, written in accordance with it, worked OK with real devices. Oh yes!

If you compare some others in the Web with it, you could find, say... differences. To my knowledge this one is correct. Here you have it.

Attachments

• PS2 protocol timing.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 358
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back