Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My dog...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I do not want a purebreed as my last dog was. Purebreeds have to many problems. I also like that dog on the Frasier show. Is the a Jack Russell?
The Jack Russell is a very high energy, high maintance breed. It is a very bad choice for an apartment or condo. The Frasier show caused a lot of people to buy them not knowing what they were getting into. A lot of them ended up at the pound.

If the dog will live in a condo get one with a temperment suited for that type of life.

My wife was into gerbils and hamsters 'big time' a while back. She still has good friends that breed and show. One of the major mover/shakers lives in London. Maybe he can suggest one that is closer. Getting rid of the unwanted offspring is a problem so I would not expect to pay much or anything for a pet. If they are interested PM me their email address.

Depends what kind of dog you want?, if you want a pedigree dog, then they cost a lot of money - in the UK I would suggest you DON'T go to the RSPCA - they just rip you off.

A friends childs hamster died the other week, so they though they would look at the RSPCA for a replacement - the RSPCA wanted £50 for a hamster!. We found the same years back when looking for a cat, so we went to the "Cats Protection League" instead, where they give cat's free to good homes (but they come out and check you first).

Last edited:
The Jack Russell is a very high energy, high maintance breed. It is a very bad choice for an apartment or condo. The Frasier show caused a lot of people to buy them not knowing what they were getting into. A lot of them ended up at the pound.

If the dog will live in a condo get one with a temperment suited for that type of life.

Thats good to know, thanks... What about Beagles?

You can google and find info on most breeds on the net. I was not quite sure about the Beagle so I looked it up.
The Beagle is a gentle, sweet, lively and curious dog that just loves everyone! A happy little tail-wagger! Sociable, brave and intelligent. Calm and loving. Excellent with children and generally good with other dogs, but should not be trusted with non-canine pets, unless they are socialized with cats and other household animals when they are young. Beagles have minds of their own. They are determined and watchful and require patient, firm training. This breed doesn't like being left alone. Consider buying two if you will be gone a lot. A Beagle has a loud baying cry that was a delight to hunting horsemen, but can be disturbing to family and neighbors. Beagles have a tendency to follow their own noses. They may take off on their own exploration if let off their leash in an unfenced area. Be careful when selecting your Beagle. The breed is being over bred and in some lines, the dogs temperament is suffering because of it.

I have a Keeshond Keeshond (Dutch Barge Dog) (Wolfspitz) (Chien Loup) (German Wolfspitz). It is a great dog. Works well in an apartment but like all dogs needs to be walked. Very smart but does not have the fetch gene. It can be taught as a trick but there is no interest in it past the reward. Very food driven. Extremely loyal. Great with kids and wives.

It is a cold weather dog but does not have the running temperament you see in huskies. No one breed is for everyone, if you like the idea of keeping Parana this dog might not be for you.

Attachments

• MiscWinnieNEllis_0062.jpg
    MiscWinnieNEllis_0062.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Kess.jpg
    Kess.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 249
Thanks for the info 3V0, I think the climate here would be a bit much for your type of pup. I think I will go for a Beagle crossbreed, that should help with the breed problem. I really dunno, but If I don't give my wife a dog, she wants a kid...lol I am too old for kids...

I was one of those people, but we made it work. We had it in a house rather than a condo though, so it worked out fine.

Beagles probably wouldn't be a great choice, they are hunters, and like to stay active. If you don't keep them busy, they get busy with your stuff. You should consider your lifestyle, and what role the dog will play. The first years of puppy can be tough, might consider adopting an adultish, mature dog. Don't know much about condos, but dogs classed as a working or hunting breed need a yard, and plenty of room.

That's good advice Harvey.

I would also steer clear of fox-terriers for that matter.
How about a yorkie. Women also love them, they are small and happy indoors dogs.

My last dog was a Yorkie. This breed develops many health problems as my last one did.

My last dog was a Yorkie. This breed develops many health problems as my last one did.

Show breeds are a crap shoot, and very expensive to get a good healthy line. My mom's Yorkie is 16 years old, toothless, but still active. Was never really thrilled with the hyper little furball. Show dogs are usually intended for longevity, kind of a cruel practice in my opinion, in many cases. A litter might contain one or two decent animals, the rest won't live more than 5 or 6 years, good enough to win a few shows, and breed for a good price, before being put down.

They don't seem to be too loud or destructive, but very high energy, need a lot of maintenance (grooming). Being tall, and my foot is longer then the dog, always afraid of stepping on her. Never happened in all those years, just worries me every time I visit. My Lab steps on her deliberately (dominance), or maybe he's doing what he does to those little lizards... But all that aside, seems like a good dog, trainable and loyal.

My mom originally got a pair, on male, one female from the same litter (no, not to breed, she had them fixed). The male died of a heart defect before he was 2 years old. I've got some pictures of the female and my Lab together some place, might post some later.

That is remmenant of our DSL line when we had DSL. Nobody took it off. Did you not see the thick cable coming out of the wall below it?
Yes I did, but it's also fair for me to assume it was the CATV signal. I happen to have that wall plate arrangement in my home... only my phone jack is a CAT-5 data jack.

I usually leave 3 dog biscuits out for Jake before I leave for work, sort of a bribe to behave. Seldom eats them until after I get home, but I have to watch him, or he'll bury them in the backyard. Took the attach picture of a squirrel robbing the Jake's stash. Thought it was kind of funny.

Attachments

• P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    682.5 KB · Views: 259
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back