Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My dog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
My Lab puppy is about 15 months old now, and still can't seem to keep him out of the kitchen trashcan. After he ate the old one, I bought one with the lid that pops up when you step on a lever. Work for a while, but he eventually figured out how to knock it over. So I filled the bottom with about 30 pounds of lead. Couple of weeks later, he managed to tip it over again, so added another 20 lbs, solved that problem so far. He's still managed to get into last week twice. Didn't make much sense, since the lid is held down pretty good, figured it must be a little painful to raise it with his nose. Caught him today, helping himself to some chicken bones. He steps on the lever. Guess I'm going to put some kind of latch or lock on it. Kind of kills the convenience of it though. It's kind of spooky though, and got me to wondering what else he has learned from watching me. How long before he starts opening doors, or turning on water faucets. He's only about half way to adulthood, but he's already getting past being a destructive puppy.

Some pet stores sell "bitter apple" spray that's used a deterrent towards keeping pets away from specific home areas/items. I don't know how well it works and for that matter how long it would be before your dog would return to the same habit once you stopped spraying the stuff.

Visit a public library as they often have pet training books/videos available. There are some novel solutions to these problems and until you learn of them and try them out.....

When push comes to shove, maybe you just need to "crack his ass" often!!! :rolleyes:
You don't necessarily need to catch him in the act. Just drag his butt over to the can a few times daily, say NO! NO! very sternly while looking him directly in the eyes, then smack him under his chin, but not hard. Smacking under the chi is preferred since they don't see your hand coming at them and greatly reduces the chances of future hand-biting or cringing. This technique is really a last ditch effort that often works for problem pooches!

Bring him close to your PC monitor-- I'll slap him for ya!! ;)

Last edited:
I've read about the bitter apple stuff, seems to only work with some puppies when very young, some seem to like the stuff. Kind of doubtful mine would be bothered by it, probably like it. Mine drinks strong black coffee, if I leave it where he can get at it.

I know striking an animal has worked well as a training method, but I don't. Labs aren't an aggressive breed, but doesn't mean he can't learn. My way takes longer, and more patience, but better results in the end. My previous dog was a Rottweiler mix, he was huge, but basically harmless. He put up a good show, very protective, and only bit a few other dogs (really hated pitbulls for some reason...). Thing is, they learn not to do something, but they also learn to hurt if they get pissed off enough.

The problem is that I don't feed him a lot of people food, so if he smells it in there, he gets curious and wants to try some. Pretty sure he'll grow out of it. My first thoughts were to install a shocker, but probably I'd get the shock eventually. No way to gage how much would be enough, or too much. I've got one of those stick-on loud door/window alarms somewhere, thinking of trying that if I run across it. Don't remember if it latches on, or self resets.

We had our trash can in a closet/pantry. Raised a black lab and golden retriever, never a problem. Is something like that a possibility? Maybe a child fence until he grows out of it?

John

Dog Whispering

We had our trash can in a closet/pantry. Raised a black lab and golden retriever, never a problem. Is something like that a possibility? Maybe a child fence until he grows out of it?

John

I had mine trained good the dog was the best until one night we left yummy steak to close to the edge of the counter. My daughter came in and boom she was busted sampling the steak.

That chicken bone thing is bad news watch out that results in vet bills. They can puncture intestines because of the way the bones split into sharp pieces.

I never allow them to even make it to the can most scraps are taken straight away to the garbage. Her nose is so sensitive I'll bet she could be a good tracker I will put things she's never seen before and straight away she can sniff them out.

(HarveyH42Try a little Dog whispering ) kv :D

I had mine trained good the dog was the best until one night we left yummy steak to close to the edge of the counter. My daughter came in and boom she was busted sampling the steak.

You should give your daughter steak more often.;)

John

I know bones are bad, and don't give them to him. Find out in a day or two how that works out for him. Hoping the pass, like everything else he's eaten, and should have... Been lucky so far, and he seem to be past consuming non-food items.

No room to hide the can, but will make the trip to the garbage, lot cheaper than the vet.
Might try and bait him into opening the can to get it on video. He did it with so normally, just like a person would. Definitely wasn't dumb-luck, he knew what he was doing. Would be cool if he'd pick up after himself. He's been a real baseball/softball fan for the past few weeks. Got string all over the house, wish he'd hurry up and get one of the unwound to the center, so I can see what the core looks like.

oops. ok so they both do it alright.

You should give your daughter steak more often.;)

John

Now that you mention it she does too. :eek:

I catch her always eating a little as she goes by ?

I got real problems at home.

Now if I can only keep the 12 month old out of the garbage can.:D

Thanks John.

Teach him how to fetch a beer out of the fridge.

I know bones are bad, and don't give them to him. Find out in a day or two how that works out for him. Hoping the pass, like everything else he's eaten, and should have... Been lucky so far, and he seem to be past consuming non-food items.

No room to hide the can, but will make the trip to the garbage, lot cheaper than the vet.
Might try and bait him into opening the can to get it on video. He did it with so normally, just like a person would. Definitely wasn't dumb-luck, he knew what he was doing. Would be cool if he'd pick up after himself. He's been a real baseball/softball fan for the past few weeks. Got string all over the house, wish he'd hurry up and get one of the unwound to the center, so I can see what the core looks like.

Give him some training and it will all go away. reward often for good behavior I get these cheap dry strips of meat at the dollar store. 2 bucks a bag I buy them out when I go. I give a couple every night or when I'm training (The dog) John The dog. :p

kv

Some very finely **HOT** chopped chillies mixed in with the meat should do the trick.

It might take a few tries but I'm sure that he'll get the hint that the stuff in the bin isn't as appealing as it used to be after getting his mouth burnt a few times

Some very finely **HOT** chopped chillies mixed in with the meat should do the trick.

It might take a few tries but I'm sure that he'll get the hint that the stuff in the bin isn't as appealing as it used to be after getting his mouth burnt a few times

Good idea, but I believe spicy foods tend to cause diarrhea, body wants to rise that stuff out quick, its an irritant. Rather not clean up the mess, that's why he doesn't get my food in the first place. Don't think it would work either. He drinks coffee, beer. Catches bees and wasps, stands in fire ant mounds, then licks the off his legs. Chewed through an extension could (has done it since that one though...).

He gets training everyday, mostly just the basics (stand,sit, lay down, say please), but I do try to get him doing some more advanced stuff, just not quite ready yet. Haven't gotten him to pick up the newspaper yet, but he will carry it into the house if I put it in his mouth. Unfortunately, he needs to be on the lease, or he runs around the neighborhood. Really likes the illegals down the street, but it might just be for the beer, I seldom buy any...

My lab is now about 6 years old, still destroys everything plastic. Digs holes everywhere, destroy all nice smelling plants, but other that, very well behaved.
I had a rotty at school, the dog slept in my room when young, if it needed to go out for a number one or two and I would not wake up, she would open the door (fully latched) and go put her wet cold nose against my dad's stomach.
Needless to say, my dad would crap me out the next day, and I not have a clue what the heck was going on.
Then I noticed the claw scratches on the door one day as she would slid down after grabbing the door handle.
At least my dad understood.

Chicken bones are dangerous because they are dry, extracts a lot of juices from the gut, expands and block the gut. Slow painful death for the dog.
That is the real danger.

How about a picture? I love puppy pictures, and who doesnt :)

Jake, and my brother's pitbull, Fatboy.

Attachments

• P1000885.jpg
    P1000885.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 288
Land Sharks

Jake, and my brother's pitbull, Fatboy.

I just herd they were going to outlaw Pits in my area. If they do I will have to put my little girl down.

I refuse to let her be adopted by some bastards that will breed her or fight her.

kv:mad:

The big problem is that a sharp-pei has 100 lbs psi greater in their bite than a pit. And are just as nasty in a corner if not more.

Last edited:
Years ago my wife had a dog grooming business. She cared for all different types of dogs ,including guard dogs for construction businesses and large farming operations. She was bitten only once, and that was by a french poodle! Some of the dogs made me nervous for her to be around. One pair of dobermans were professionally trained and the handler claimed he was the only one able to touch them, my wife started talking to them in that cutesy baby talk and the dogs were putty in her hands.

I think dogs only want one thing from humans, well more than one, but mostly love.
If they see that in you, you're their friend.

It's just to get to that point:)

I also saw tests done with dog bites, they used a german shephard, pitbull and rotweiler, the rotty came first with jaw presssure, the poor GS last, by far.

For me labbies, goldies and sheepdogs are best. Don't take changes with dogs and kids, Naleah used to use them as sitting benches and jump toys when she was smaller. They did not really mind.

Adopted Dogs.

I think dogs only want one thing from humans, well more than one, but mostly love.
If they see that in you, you're their friend.

It's just to get to that point:)

I also saw tests done with dog bites, they used a german shephard, pitbull and rotweiler, the rotty came first with jaw presssure, the poor GS last, by far.

For me labbies, goldies and sheepdogs are best. Don't take changes with dogs and kids, Naleah used to use them as sitting benches and jump toys when she was smaller. They did not really mind.

I saved this one from a Kid my son brought home. He nor the dog had a place to go. When he left I knew the dog needed more than just to be sitting around waiting. Basically a Dog by nature needs a pack and that is what my family represents. (OK - john - go ahead:D)

She watches over the cats in the house which there are two. Plus a small white poodle thing of my daughter. I have six feet of chain link and two feet of concrete foundation around my backyard. Plus there is vinyl fence six feet surrounding the chain link and I am well fortified with locks.

I do this to protect the dog from random strangers. I feel sorry for the guy that jumps the fence she will not let him move and may provoke the situation I'm sure of it.

He then would have to kill her and I can't bear to think about it.

She has free run in my house to this point one of the best dogs I have ever had. I grew up a hunter. I can relate to (arrie) those are the breeds I am familiar with.

This one has learned the way I talk and even if I spell the word treat she will go to drawer where I keep the goodies.

She has learned many tricks and a freaking real comedian. So human like it's amazing if you have ever seen those dogs that twist there head as you talk that's her. Plus she try's to form words when she wants something.

Thanks for listening.

Sad day's ahead for the family. kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back