Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplex switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's pretty much how the Junebugs 18F1320 is connected. You should add a 22K between pin 1 & VDD, also a 0.1uf cap should be placed as close as you can between 14 & 5 (VDD & VSS)

Of course you could build a 18F4620 target board, the 18F series upgrade to the 16F877A. The 18F4620 is a big 40pin PIC so you've got plenty of I/O.

AtomSoft said:
just a thought but cant i just leave the chip on the junebug to program it? And then place it into my board ?

Yes you could but that would not help you debug your code. Do not expect code to work the first time out. It may take many edit-program-debug cycles to get it working. We all make mistakes due to misunderstanding or 100 other reasons. With the ICSP cable in place you can step through the code line by line and examine the value of variables, registers etc. You can also set and run to breakpoints.

It is also a drag to pull and insert the chip every time you make a change to your program. It is a good way to screw up the pins. They came up with ICSP (and similar) for these reasons.

EDIT: There are many people who do exactly what you suggested. It works but it is very old school and slow compared to using an in circuit debugger as provided by the Junebug.

Of course you can, most 18 pin 16F & 18F PICs have the same programming & power pinout. You could program 16F628A, 16F88, 16F84A... in the Junebug Tutor socket.

oh ok so all that extra stuff is not needed unless i want to program it from my board right. So i can use your board to program and a new board to place it in. New board like:
**broken link removed**

3v0 you dont understand. I will use Junebug for whole process then when done with programming and debugging i will remove it from junebug and place it on my own PCB. When my code is done and IC is in PC i will not change the code ever again on the same IC because i wont have that IC anymore (it will be sold) (after a lot of testing and testing lol) If i make a upgrade therer will be a new chip involved which i will program with the junebug and debug also. Then it will be on a whole new PCB.

Last edited:
Those IC sockets are not really meant for lots of insertions / removals. If you do it lots consider a ZIF socket adapter.
**broken link removed**
Top a Textool ZIF, bottom an inexpensive ZIF, right a wire wrap style machine socket (Not a ZIF) got a terrific grip those machine sockets.

Last edited:
exactly what i have but im not going to be removing it a lot because im going to debug and program it from the junebug. i am only going to remove it once its complete, then it will go into my PCB

Dont get me wrong it sounds cool to have it on board and i might just leave it there. Infact i will leave it on. Thank you

Last edited:
AtomSoft said:
3v0 you dont understand. I will use Junebug for whole process then when done with programming and debugging i will remove it from junebug and place it on my own PCB. When my code is done and IC is in PC i will not change the code ever again on the same IC because i wont have that IC anymore (it will be sold) (after a lot of testing and testing lol) If i make a upgrade therer will be a new chip involved which i will program with the junebug and debug also. Then it will be on a whole new PCB.
Good enough. :) I have a good system for making PCB boards and tend to forget that others do not.

AtomSoft said:
Dont get me wrong it sounds cool to have it on board and i might just leave it there. Infact i will leave it on. Thank you
If you leave the ICSP on the board, don't forget the 10K pullup resistor on MCLR (pin4 on the 18F1320).

I tend to build prototypes on breadboards. Here's one with a 18F1320, 3 * DS1820s, an IR receiver, a 2*16 LCD and the ICSP connector. The picture was taken just after the left most 1820 was frozen to check the negative reading ability. It might be worth building something similar.

Mike.

Last edited:
Yeh I second futz on that Pommie..... Really tidy very pretty..

Mostly you see wires that go in all different directions and they are hard to separate

kchriste said:
If you leave the ICSP on the board, don't forget the 10K pullup resistor on MCLR (pin4 on the 18F1320).

I have to put the 10k resistor to pin4 then to where? Or from Pin 4 to then the other side to VPP for the junebug? Or from pin 4 to VCC?

Also i used a pin header like a dummy and noticed on junebug i need a female anyone know the part for eagle ?

EDIT: Maybe this ?
FEMALE HEADER
Package: FE05-2
FEMALE HEADER

EDIT 2:
Just relized in POMMIEs pic he has a Male because using the wire .
So im assuming i will need the same lol so reverting back lol.

Also Nice work Pommie looks so nice i hope to get that experience in neatness. :D

Last edited:
Just an FYI, with the 18F1320 and many other PICs you can program the MCLR pin as an input (it will internally tie MCLR to VDD)

BUT

1. VPP before VDD is only supported on the ICD connector(s) on the Junebug. The 18pin tutor socket has VDD always on.
2. You should never leave an input pin floating, so you'll either have the MCLR pin connected to some devices output pin or a small pullup resistor.

For now just ignore this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back