Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member

Attachments

• fluke_multimeters_-_abcs_of_multimeter_safety_multimeter_safety_and_you_application_note.pdf
    493.6 KB · Views: 301
Fixed the title for you, was "mulimeter safety".

I like the little video, that is a bad day at work! :eek:

Edit
I have just read the Fluke Application Note, very informative.
I think that I have learned something today.

Thank you for bringing this information to our attention TV.

JimB

Last edited:
Thanks Jim :)

My spelling is not what it was anymore :eek:

Regards,
tv

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing this information to our attention TV.
JimB

You are making me smile from ear to ear :)

Thanks Friend.

At least I tried to be useful Today in my own little way.
tv

Last edited:
Maybe before the days of GFCI's or before the days I had one outside I was like 15-16 YO sanding a car in shorts, no shirt and bare feet on the grass. I didn't notice the rectangular shaped electric cord was frayed. I caught the cord between my toes, so I had this nice connection between by toe and the large area of the side of my torso.
No one was home either,

Surprisingly, I thought of consciously screaming. It worked! I was able to get free. Kinda like when something hurts and you make something else hurt, the stuff that huts more takes over. So, it's useful info and something you won't find in school. That incident. was a "must have" a GFCI.

The bathroom still doesn't have one. The hair dryer might be the only thing used there and it has an integrated GFCI. A rug shampooer/vac also has an integrated GFCI. I Have to try to fix another wet/dry vac by relocating the switch and I'm debating whether to get one of those cord varieties. The basement could use one, but there is a fridge and freezer down there.

I don't test 9V batteries with my tongue anymore.

Good man KISS

Man, I think I have confused the hell out of everybody here that does not know me :wideyed:

Damage control needed. Speak to you again with the PM thread.

All the Best,
tv

We are upgrading every old multimeter at work to cat iii and cat iv IEC 61010 to meet current safety standards. I just gave away a desk full of Flukes in the 20 or 70 series.
Most of the quality older meters won't burn like that piece of junk but they can't meet the newer specs.

I have a Fluke75 dating back to the early Eighties...use it for new designs and stuff I am dabbling with..
For day to day repairs on CRT....the Analogue YEW cuts it 100% of the time. For me.

No high energy involved with CRT though....

So, yes, Digital Meters have to handle all kinds of crap in many different environments.

The bathroom still doesn't have one. The hair dryer might be the only thing used there and it has an integrated GFCI.

In the UK it's illegal to have mains sockets in the bathroom - the ONLY socket allowed is a special shaver socket, which is low power and isolated (and normally switchable for 110V/240V). So no hair dryers allowed.

these meter's we used at school, are auite interesting when thinking now, they are cat 2 alright, but it still bothers me to think some ppl actually measured mains with dc-section, and at least one fellow almost measured it at amperage-section! and 20A socket is without fuse....

*edit: that message didn't make any sense, sorry about that...but, the truth is, now matter how safe meter is, it never replaces the skill/caution the user must use while using it! hopefully i'm not terribly wrong with this stuff...but, mistakes happen, we created couple s/c's at school with teacher when using 'scopes. we plugged more than one gnd-clip to circuit and then started wondering at whiteboard what the hell just happened, why did the fuse blow...i still think 'scope is probadly the most dangerous equipment at lab due gnd-clips. feel free to comment critisize this folks, always appreciate feedback! :) i'm the rookie here...lol, just craduated year ago, and pretty next no none in-field experiments (which buggers me a lot!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back