Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(MPPT) maximum power point track design

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisaac001

someone plss help me design a MPPT to attach to my already inplace buck/boost converter..
i dont even knw where and how to start this..... i got nothing ...nada lol
if u know of any links plss post...or any advise on hw to start...
i will be doing this in simulink...
calling on all engineers .. HELP!!!! PLS

If you Google "(MPPT) maximum power point track design" you will get numerous hits. Typically new designs use a microprocessor to track the solar panel and battery voltages and adjust the converter voltage to achieve maximum charging efficiency. This is not a trivial design.

For example here's a design using a Fuzzy Logic controller. The advantage of Fuzzy Logic is that it's generally easier to optimize the control for a particular application as compared to a PID controller, especially for a non-linear system or incompletely defined requirements.

If you Google "(MPPT) maximum power point track design" you will get numerous hits. Typically new designs use a microprocessor to track the solar panel and battery voltages and adjust the converter voltage to achieve maximum charging efficiency. This is not a trivial design.

For example here's a design using a Fuzzy Logic controller. The advantage of Fuzzy Logic is that it's generally easier to optimize the control for a particular application as compared to a PID controller, especially for a non-linear system or incompletely defined requirements.

I am always amazed that so many people ignore one critical fact when charging batteries: they have a constant voltage.

MPPT chargers are pretty simple if you remember that the battery voltage is constant in the short term and for most of the charge cycle you are in "constant current" mode. In a boost topology charger if you dither the PWM and configure a maximum CURRENT point tracker you have what you want since the P=VI and V is constant for a given charge state.

In other words, let the battery do the multiplication for you.

need help

I am Samir .I am currently working on PV grid tied inverter. I am trying to simulate the system on simulink. I have done the inverter side including the voltage dc link controller, PLL, and current control and it is running succesfully. I am not able to design the PV side having MPPT and non-isolated boost. My boost design should have an output of 500V . If you can send me the template of the PV module , MPPT and nonisolated control i would highly glad.Input being around 200V

I am Samir .I am currently working on PV grid tied inverter. I am trying to simulate the system on simulink. I have done the inverter side including the voltage dc link controller, PLL, and current control and it is running succesfully. I am not able to design the PV side having MPPT and non-isolated boost. My boost design should have an output of 500V . If you can send me the template of the PV module , MPPT and nonisolated control i would highly glad.Input being around 200V
Are you driving a battery bank?

What is the rating of your solar array?

so many questions so little time... What you are asking is beyond what 95% of the posters here are capable of. you are delving into high frequency, relatively high voltage AND high power, if you are actually attempting a grid tied solar system, and that is with out even considering regulatory complications!

frankly, you are better off just buying one. if you are looking to start a business you should be ashamed of yourself for jumping into something that is obviously beyond you and attempting to get hobbyists to do your dirty work so that you can reap the benefits.

Oh I could design the fool thing, but the cost of prototyping a custom transformer for one piece would be prohibitive! If you are looking to build for profit you have no business asking for help on this forum. take out a loan and hire a contract engineer!

hey,

Are you driving a battery bank?

What is the rating of your solar array?

so many questions so little time... What you are asking is beyond what 95% of the posters here are capable of. you are delving into high frequency, relatively high voltage AND high power, if you are actually attempting a grid tied solar system, and that is with out even considering regulatory complications!

frankly, you are better off just buying one. if you are looking to start a business you should be ashamed of yourself for jumping into something that is obviously beyond you and attempting to get hobbyists to do your dirty work so that you can reap the benefits.

Oh I could design the fool thing, but the cost of prototyping a custom transformer for one piece would be prohibitive! If you are looking to build for profit you have no business asking for help on this forum. take out a loan and hire a contract engineer!

I'm am a university student asking for help in SIMULINK software. not for business. I am unable to implement the MPPT along with the dc dc converter was my question .

I'm am a university student asking for help in SIMULINK software. not for business. I am unable to implement the MPPT along with the dc dc converter was my question .

well then my apologies. chances are that most will not have that software legitimately if at all. As I recall it was quite pricey even for the student version of anything from mathworks.

As to your MPPT, as I have said many times here: use the battery as you multiplier. I also have my doubts about a bunch of math monkeys comprehending the intricacies of high frequency PCB simulation - you need EEs for that. The magnetics alone for the level of simulation that they are probably claiming (being the math monkeys that they) is quite involved.

Most MPPT algorithms are based on continuously seeking the best output power and raw simulation will most likely always see that as an unstable system and it is waiting for it to stabilize - it never will. The whole point is to keep adjusting in one direction and reverse when the output power goes down instead of up since there is no way to calculate the temperature and quality of illumination on the array.

The other error is that you can not separate them: an MPPT *IS* a DC-DC convertor. Are you doing it with a chip, a micro, or "discretes"? (there really is very little now, I am actually asking about opamps and stuff, not transistors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back