Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moving coil meter damping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I've hear dof this but never seen such a marked example.

I have a big old industrial edge wise meter, the scale is about 8 by 2 inches, the needle is also about 8 inch long, and its sensitive at 50uA.
To try and get it not to wander around with the slightest fluctuation in voltage I've put a 22r resistor as a shunt across the coil to make it a 1mA meter.
Now the movement is real slow, 30 secs for sull scale, presumably this is back emf and 'dynamo' effect, the 22r resistor is so low that back emf across the coil resists deflection and slows it down, and the meter movement generates a small amount of energy under the return spring that fsd to no deflection is also slowed.
Or is something else happening here.
The meter is going to show minutes in a steampunk clock project so its actually ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back