Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motorcycle charging query

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljaxon

hi
a pal has a yamaha rd 200 and has a charging problem
here is his post on a forum i post on
any ideas?

Still having problems sorting my bike out, story so far battery ok charging light now fixed, Dynamo is sending out a charge BUT its reversed guy looking at it not sure why any ideas????
Not sure if somebody had it in bits before and wired it wrong but all looks ok.
Barr

As far as I can tell, the RD 200 has an dynastart, which is both the starter motor and the alternator.

The charging circuit is here https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk218/mech73/RD200Charging.jpg

Dynamos like that will produce some voltage with no field current. The residual magnetism needs to be the right way round for the dynamo to produce the right polarity output. It can be possible to get the residual magnetism the right way by putting a large current through it briefly. The procedure for a car is shown here

**broken link removed**

I've heard of folks sticking the armature to a big speaker magnet for a while sorts out that problem, but I've never tried it, you'd have to make sure you got the north-south the right way around if you did something like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back