Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor from a walkman

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapult

Hello All! First post here...

I have bought a walkman last week and I want to use only the motor with the gears. When I add batteries on the battery compartiment of the walkman, everything works well. Now, if I cut the wires who come from the motor (black and red) and I want to power the motor directly with batteries, it doesn't work. Why?

I'm sure it's a stupid question but, your help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
are the batteries ok?
I use the same batteries.
What I mean is: the motor is working fine if I power it up from the whole circuit of the walkman ( in the batteries compartiment) but, if I want to get ride of the circuit and just keep the motor, I can't drive the motor directly from the batteries. It looks like I absolutely need the whole circuit board to drive the motor. There should be a way to avoid that?

Thanks!

Trace the PCB inside the Walkman. Check where the red and black wires are soldered on and how the trace connects to the battery compartment. If you find resistors or IC's along the way of the trace with no other common components then most likely you need those to drive the motor.

What type of motor and battery is powering the Walkman?

Are there only 2 wires coming from the motor? Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Thanks for your reply!

Trace the PCB inside the Walkman. Check where the red and black wires are soldered on and how the trace connects to the battery compartment. If you find resistors or IC's along the way of the trace with no other common components then most likely you need those to drive the motor.
I'm afraid it does! But, normally a small dc motor can be driven directly from the battery. I don't get why?

Are there only 2 wires coming from the motor? Any chance you could post a picture of it?
Here it is

**broken link removed****broken link removed**

Here's a wild shoot...but, could that be an AC synchronous motor that the circuit is driving with an inverter circuit for speed control???

poutpout...you don't happen to have an o-scope or a DVM to see if there is an AC voltage across the motor terminals when it's running.

I'll probably think less of the idea when I get some coffee in me. ;)

Ken

Last edited:
poutpout...you don't happen to have an o-scope or a DVM to see if there is an AC voltage across the motor terminals when it's running.
Nop!

I bought it because I tough it was the simplest way to get a little motor with some gears... :rolleyes:

First of all... your name was catapult and it was your first post.

now its poutpout :confused:

Have you tested the motor without the gears attached to it? If not, try doing just that. possibly something was damaged in the gears and now it takes much more force. Get some small screw drivers and let me know. The only other thing is it could be an AC motor (as KMoffett said) not sure why it would be one though. Here is an article on the ac motor. AC Motors and Generators

I just took apart a radio today and got 3 little motors to play with!
This stuff is fun isnt it?

Last edited:
It does not seem to be an AC motor!?

why don't you try to check the wires? maybe those red and black wires are cut and will work just when you change their POSITION?!
besides please run your motor with another batteries or with just one battery and let us know the results!

Hello All! First post here...

I have bought a walkman last week and I want to use only the motor with the gears. When I add batteries on the battery compartiment of the walkman, everything works well. Now, if I cut the wires who come from the motor (black and red) and I want to power the motor directly with batteries, it doesn't work. Why?

I'm sure it's a stupid question but, your help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks
it works provided you keep the switches operated ( like press play button) so that you can see that it is running
otherwise, even if the motor runs you miss to observe.

why don't you try to check the wires? maybe those red and black wires are cut and will work just when you change their POSITION?!
besides please run your motor with another batteries or with just one battery and let us know the results!
I think it was something like that. I don't know which one because I did a lot of change at the same time. I check the wires, change the batteries and the battery holder and the thing connect to the battery holder and now it works!

Thanks a lot for your help!
(sorry for that, I'm learning dc motors and electronics and it is very new to me)

But I have a new question in a minute! :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back