Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motoflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I've been made aware of this magnet thing that is supposed to increase the efficiency of my car engine and any other thing burning fuel (including gas cookers !) is it possible ?

**broken link removed**

one thing that jumps to mind is the pipes are metal so what can a magnetic feild do to that ?

Last edited:
Yip, I remembered checking that one out some time back, no proof that it actually works, just slanky scheister salesmen.
I remember someone trying this product when going on holiday one year long ago, that was on a 3.0 cortina bakkie (pick-up truck), it caused their vehicle to stall several times on their way, needless to say, the device ended in the trash can.
Oh, and if you should come across it in the future, similar thing: using magnetic fields to soften hard water, that one is also a no-go theory.
But magnets are really decent to keep your take away price list on the fridge.

Oh no, all the mileage boosting devices from the past... Guessing there are going to be a lot of these scams.

Magnets are a mystery material for most people, and have been used by scammers for literally centuries. A lot of the claims are faith-based, if you believe it works, it will to some extent. Are the improvements from the little understood magnetic fields, or behavior changes based on the user's belief? If you change your driving habits, you can improve performance...

I guess as fuel prices climb so will the number of ripoff gadgets and fuel additives for your car.
You'll have more luck installing a flow meter in the fuel line and finding out where the speed/acceleration sweet spots are for best mileage. So will keeping the tires properly inflated, air filter clean, etc.

Yet the biggest factor in fuel consumption will arguably still be the weight of your foot, and driving style.
I drive a 2005 Ford Mondeo 2.0 for example, I get anything between 7.1 and 7.7 l/100km. From what I gather that is real decent, other people with 2.0l's average anything above 9.
Yet, this same vehicle have reported consumptions as low as well below 6l/100km in the local total economy run, and ruled its class for quite a few years. And I've never been able to get below 7, but I know it's possible.
See, driving style does a lot, especially what you do with gears one, two and three.

Yip, I remembered checking that one out some time back, no proof that it actually works, just slanky scheister salesmen.
I remember someone trying this product when going on holiday one year long ago, that was on a 3.0 cortina bakkie (pick-up truck), it caused their vehicle to stall several times on their way, needless to say, the device ended in the trash can.
Oh, and if you should come across it in the future, similar thing: using magnetic fields to soften hard water, that one is also a no-go theory.
But magnets are really decent to keep your take away price list on the fridge.

yes but a 50 £ fridge magnet is a bit over my budget ;-)

the thing that bothers me is that it was suposedly tested by some sort of gov body.

Well i have emailed the guy that wants to sell them and said what about the magnetic feild having to get through the metal pipes and I won't be surprised to not get a reply

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back