Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

// Mother of all Bench top Power supplies ( DIY Project )

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDAudio

**broken link removed**

First let me explain why I am building this.

I work on allot of strange projects that utilize allot of strange items that all require strange voltage requirements.

For example, I have a 1.5HP 36VDC DC motor on a home made winch.

I have a 50amp 220V XRay transformer, that I would like more control over.

I have many electric Air compressors that run at different voltages.

As well as a 208V Cryo Torr Vacuum pump.

And much more.

I have a 30Amp 240VAC plug installed in my garage for the project.

I want the system to be configurable with switches and knobs and be safe.

So With 0-240V AC or DC output with high low and 0-48V ranges I will have the utmost in versatility.

Now on with the pictures.

Here is a link to the Gallery.

NOTE: The description ( Right side of the picture ) has what the item is for and or what it does.

I will update this thread as I get more done.

Moderation: Electrically Hazardous Project, Link deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
No link!

Ken

Hmm my post was edited by ericgibbs and the link was removed. I will try to find out why, before I relink

It is too dangerous to be posted on this forum where a NOOB might make it and get killed by it.

It is too dangerous to be posted on this forum where a NOOB might make it and get killed by it.

I am glad I waited to relink the pictures then. And to think this was going to be one of my projects I was going to build right ,Safe and proper. I might as well not post any of my other past projects then :p Some of them go very much against the grain of code.

Should I wait until the project is done to post up any pictures or info?

Trying to get a feel for what I can or can not post. I do understand the need to keep the 'less knowledgeable' public safe. But I did learn allot because of Trial and Error.... Mostly error haha.

Last edited:
I am glad I waited to relink the pictures then. And to think this was going to be one of my projects I was going to build right ,Safe and proper. I might as well not post any of my other past projects then :p Some of them go very much against the grain of code.

Should I wait until the project is done to post up any pictures or info?

Trying to get a feel for what I can or can not post. I do understand the need to keep the 'less knowledgeable' public safe. But I did learn allot because of Trial and Error.... Mostly error haha.

DJDAudio,

I saw where the link was missing. I saw where Eric was likely responsible. :)

I believe what needs said here is the forums view safety as a matter of paramount importance. When I saw the pictures in one of your earlier post it reminded me of what some of my own setups look like. Hazardous voltages exposed and everything that is electrically unsafe. While many of the senior members and those members who have been working with electronics and basic electricity for many years know it is unsafe to pee on B+ or urinate into a wall outlet the new members for the most part are unfamiliar with this. Keep in mind this comes from what is called a Sr. Design Engineer who last week shoved his left hand into a 480 volt disconnect and closed the knife switch disconnect. Suddenly over 40 years of electricity came back to me. :) The forums encourage and promote good and safe work practices (much unlike what I did last week).

@Eric, it would be cool if when post are edited as that post well should have been, the moderator provide a clue as to why?

Ron

@Eric, it would be cool if when post are edited as that post well should have been, the moderator provide a clue as to why?

Ron,
Comment added to deleted post link.

E

DJDAudio,

I saw where the link was missing. I saw where Eric was likely responsible. :)

I believe what needs said here is the forums view safety as a matter of paramount importance. When I saw the pictures in one of your earlier post it reminded me of what some of my own setups look like. Hazardous voltages exposed and everything that is electrically unsafe. While many of the senior members and those members who have been working with electronics and basic electricity for many years know it is unsafe to pee on B+ or urinate into a wall outlet the new members for the most part are unfamiliar with this. Keep in mind this comes from what is called a Sr. Design Engineer who last week shoved his left hand into a 480 volt disconnect and closed the knife switch disconnect. Suddenly over 40 years of electricity came back to me. :) The forums encourage and promote good and safe work practices (much unlike what I did last week).

Ron

Ron, I understand 100% in my daily life I have to follow code and do everything by the book, so I understand the need for safety where other younger membersmay not.

I will keep my posts more text based as well as mainly only post my low voltage 'safe' projects. :)

Thanks for the heads up!

I sometimes find myself forgetting the 'left hand' rule with large disconnects. That is a mistake that will not let you be forgiven.

Electrically hazardous project? :confused:

Really? How many hundreds of them do we have on this forum already relating to everything from high voltage high current DC power sources to 480 volt three phase stuff for welders and industrial things plus all the custom built who knows what devices. (How many of those topics have I alone commented on or started myself here? :eek:

240 volts AC input with multiple outputs really isn't a big deal being dummys could find a way still kill themselves with a screwdriver and D battery if given enough time.

Wait - I missed it. What happened? Somebody went pee-pee on a voltage? Huh?

Hope this is Safe enough to post.

I got all of the panels cut down and fitted.

**broken link removed**

The top (3) gauges will be mounted in the large dark gray panel on top below the (2) other smaller gauges.

These will be setup as Input voltage (120 or 220 ) and then input current (0-40Amp) Output voltage (0-300V) and last Output current (0-100Amp)

On top will be a Red warning indicator to let me know when it is energized. As well as the large Variac is mounted internal and controlled from the top knob.

Going to pick up a 3" hole saw this afternoon to get the rest of the gauges mounted.

And here is this afternoons work, Machined out the spots for the 3 gauges.

**broken link removed**

And got them mounted.

**broken link removed**

The switch on the left is for a Range select circuit I built, the switch is very unique, it is on/off/on DPDT but one half momentary and the other locking.
So it is setup so in the up on spot the gauge will read 0-300V and in the center it will be off, and the momentary down it will read 0-30V for fine adjustment of the lower voltages.

The reason it is momentary is if I shut the Variac off I do not want to forget and have the meter max out.

Looking good! Did you use a fly cutter or CNC?

Looking good! Did you use a fly cutter or CNC?

Well I was home from work this weekend, so did not have access to any of the good equipment,

The hole was an odd size, so I found the closest punch I could find and then hand worked the hole to the size needed. The slots where hole drilled and hand sawed to the notch. Not the most fun I have had haha

Yeah, that's a real hassle on those thick metal panels, even if it's just aluminum. There's been a couple of occasions where I spent more time cutting the holes in the case than I did wiring it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back